Talk

Advanced search

Research Request! Help us develop tools to investigate body awareness in children

(1 Post)
MEDIA: Melissa Barker Thu 30-Apr-20 16:27:02

Hello,

My name is Melissa Barker, and I am PhD researcher at Royal Holloway, University of London. I'm looking for parents and children (6-18) to take part in our research exploring awareness of our body (sensations such as hunger, thirst, changes in body temperature, nausea, heart rate, etc.). We think that this awareness, also called interoception, is an important factor in our day to day lives, and research suggests that it may also be involved in the development of some mental health conditions.

To measure interoception, we sometimes ask people to fill out questionnaires related to their perception of sensations within their body. However, completing questionnaires can be difficult for some people, either because of age (e.g. young children) or because they have learning difficulties. The aim of this study is to test the suitability of two questionnaires that can be used to measure interoceptive abilities in situations where children are unable to report on their abilities themselves. These questionnaires will be given to caregivers to complete on behalf of the person they are caring for. We hope the results from our study will help us to develop new ways of measuring interoceptive difficulties in vulnerable people in a more reliable way.

If you decide to take part, you and your child will be asked to complete some questionnaires related to how aware you are of body sensations.

For more information, and to take part, please visit our website at www.insulab.uk/do-you-know-how-i-feel

For a short video (made for children) about what interoception is, click here!

Thanks for your time!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in