Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for non-members looking for MN users' input; there is a £30 fee.

“I wish we’d done that & now it’s too late” – family photos & stories

(2 Posts)
MEDIA: Matthew Wed 08-Mar-17 17:13:17

A couple of years ago I started a project I called Special2Us for my daughter as a way of amassing information & her accessing the memorabilia of her grandmother… and from that, a family business has been created.

Special2Us is a photo service for “parents with parents” so one can record relatives’ memories & store reminiscences whilst look through family photo albums & memory boxes. I help make safe, all the pictures & prints passed down through the family… along with capturing for the future, all the untold stories

BUT….

What I am finding is that most friends & colleagues wish they’d done this before a relative died or started to lose some of the details of the family through the onset of Alzheimer’s or dementia.

I’m asking for advice from anybody who “got there in time”… what made you start the “Getting the Photo Albums Sorted” and what have you learned about how to go about it?

I’m also looking for mums & dads who’ve acquired their more aged-relatives’ boxes of old pictures & documents Will you try Special2Us and tell me about your experience…. How you are collating things into categories & filing the results?

To help the process along – I’m happy to scan a dozen photos or documents for you – I’ll upload them to your own private account so you can share them with relatives, build a family tree of the pictures & record relatives stories “who did what, when, where, how…”

If this is something you would be interested in, please email Matthew

Feedback@Special2.Us
or call
020 7407 7300

MargPatG Mon 27-Mar-17 15:07:29

Avoid on the back of photos because then the words show through backwards on the front of the photos

DONT use post-its either, they all fall off and paperclips & stapes go rusty & cause bumps in all the other pictures

Some of the big genealogy sites start off cheap & get more & more expensive by the year or have free features suddenly needing to be paid for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now