Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake

(22 Posts)
eyesbiggerthanstomach Wed 15-Jan-20 02:23:07

My DS is turning 2 and I need a birthday cake.

Money is tight this month because I have had to pay a lovely full time £1400 nursery bill in advance on a part time salary. (I am now full time but paid in arrears!)

Anyway, it's just a small family get together. 6 of us plus DS.

He loves Mr Tumble and In The Night Garden. Has anyone seen any cakes with these themes in the supermarkets? I have had a look on the supermarket websites and there is nothing.

I could get one made but the prices are steep. I won't find it any cheaper than £80 odd.

I could have a number cake from M&S or Waitrose but they look boring and I want something a bit more fun for him to look at.

I'm tempted to now just get a Colin the Caterpillar cake. But, our family are making a real effort to travel down for his birthday, stay in a hotel and have already made a big fuss with expensive gifts and I'm not sure if it just looks a bit measly if they get fobbed off with that cake!

Before anyone suggests it, I can't bake and don't need the stress of trying to bake a cake myself which will inevitably go wrong and mean I have to then buy one anyway last minute!!

Emma198 Wed 15-Jan-20 02:28:14

Most supermarkets will print a picture on a cake, you could download a picture of Mr Tumble?

Emma198 Wed 15-Jan-20 02:29:20

PS doubt your family will even care about cake but in any case, everyone loves Colin

Blankbutnotablanket Wed 15-Jan-20 02:30:27

Can you get the number cake and then add toys from the things he likes?

DecemberSnow Wed 15-Jan-20 02:42:30

I love Colin

BlackCatSleeping Wed 15-Jan-20 02:46:20

Im sure the supermarkets do have those cakes. I agree though that if you get stuck just buy a plain cake and add some sweets and little toys.

Kwkwjwkek Wed 15-Jan-20 02:59:18

Nothing to wrong with a supermarket cake!

Limpshade Wed 15-Jan-20 04:02:06

There's nothing wrong with a supermarket cake but honestly as a non-baker myself, I have discovered the answer: ready made fondant! It does not matter what the cake looks like underneath (mine ate generally a disaster) because the lovely fondant covers everything. Get some grass green fondant, roll it out over the crappy cake and put some figurines (of whatever your toddler likes) on top. Easy peasy!

Limpshade Wed 15-Jan-20 04:02:48

*are, not ate!

PollyRoe16 Wed 15-Jan-20 04:13:56

If you search In the Night Garden Cake Topper on eBay you can get an edible rice paper topper that's personalised with the name and birthday year for £4.49 and then add it to a simple round birthday cake ☺️
Also google Aldi Cake Hack and it's a good trick at using two of their cheap celebration cakes with some extra icing and making it look pretty impressive with some decorations.

katy1213 Wed 15-Jan-20 04:57:20

He's two - he'll be thrilled with Colin the Caterpillar.

katy1213 Wed 15-Jan-20 04:59:04

And it's pointless buying expensive cake - it's still covered in spit by the time he's blown out the candles! No grown-up will fancy eating it.

user1483387154 Wed 15-Jan-20 05:02:01

themed cake topper or supermarket cake x they will both look.lovely and your son wont care

eyesbiggerthanstomach Wed 15-Jan-20 07:21:53

Thanks. These are really great ideas. I will definitely try to find a shop bought cake and then decorate it with the Night Garden toppers.

I wouldn't mind either a blue or green fondant sponge cake to decorate. All the ones I have seen are white so I will keep looking.

@Limpshade I always think of doing this and when I have tried I can never roll the fondant neatly enough!! How do you do it?!! It always gets stuff stuck in it or falls apart or is too creased or has bumps!

BlackCatSleeping Wed 15-Jan-20 08:21:13

You can always just use a chocolate cake and decorate with smarties or sprinkles, then add some toys.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 15-Jan-20 08:23:26

Do you have any night garden figurines? I made a basic cake and stuck a plastic figurine of HEY Duggee in my 2 yr olds cake

Limpshade Wed 15-Jan-20 10:07:36

Lay down a big piece of baking paper, then sprinkle over icing sugar like you would do flour if you were rolling out pastry. Coat the rolling pin in icing sugar too. I discovered th is on a YouTube video and the baking paper particularly was a game changer!

RoLaren Wed 15-Jan-20 11:37:19

Buy a ready iced white cake and paint it with green food colouring -just use a new paintbrush!

BlueJava Wed 15-Jan-20 11:43:05

I vote Colin! smile We just had a double 18th birthday (twins) and I got the cake from M&S. £80 for a cake is ridiculous in my opinion.

antisupermum Fri 17-Jan-20 13:39:51

Costco cake is forever a winner in my eyes. They do various designs which all cost the same, they are large and they are DELICIOUS!

chilling19 Fri 17-Jan-20 14:06:07

Another vote for Colin!

eyesbiggerthanstomach Fri 17-Jan-20 18:31:07

Thanks all. I have found a large, blue M&S with some balloons on it but basically a plain blue cake. I have also ordered an iggle piggle fondant from etsy so fingers crossed it will all come together!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »