Talk

Advanced search

Carpet right not fitted my LOT correctly

(33 Posts)
Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 20:17:02

Hi.
I had MY fitted, which I expect to be fitted properly, under the skirting board. However when it was done it has beading fitted all around, which doesn't match the floor at all. I have since found out that the beading is for laminate flooring sense why it doesn't match and they don't offer beading that does match.

I have been back and forth with carpet right and they are not willing to change it or compensate even though i have basically been missold a product. Now I'm stuck with something that doesn't match and is of poor quality as the beading looks a mess and tatty already.
There were also other problems with poor fitting as well. The whole experience has been a nightmare, after spending a considerable amount of money.

Does anyone have any advice of what i do next as carpet right are being really useless and just keep lying to be and fobbing me off.

Thanks for reading.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 20:18:53

Sorry it's LVT flooring (blame autocorrect) , I'm new to this and don't know how to go back and edit

fuzzyfozzy Thu 25-Jan-18 20:33:18

I'm not sure what LVT flooring is but I'd expect any flooring to but upto your skirting boards. Taking them off is a massive job.
Did you discuss this when you ordered the flooring.

fuzzyfozzy Thu 25-Jan-18 20:37:31

Ah. Just worked out what it is. Tbh I'd expect a great job of fitting that so I wouldn't need beading.
The beading is used with laminate to hide an expansion joint (and bad fitting)

Bastardingcough Thu 25-Jan-18 20:40:04

LVT = Luxury Vinyl Tiles
Like Amtico etc?

This kind of flooring is almost always butted up to skirting with some kind of beading. It's not like carpet which can be tucked under.
However, Carpet Right are usually a pile of cack. They are known for using poor quality extras like underlay and beading.

Your best bet, if Carpet Right aren't happy to correct your complaint, is to find a reputable independent flooring firm, with fitters with lots of experience. They'll be used to calls from ex-customers of Carpet Right et al...

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 20:47:02

They never spoke about fitting but non of their marketing uses beading. It sticks out like a sore thumb as the colour doesn't match. After it was fitted I asked why the beading was used (which was when i found out the beading is actually for a laminate floor which is why it doesn't match). I was then told that the floor could have been fitted properly without beading but this would have cost more, but I was never given this option or told that beading was going to be used and especially beading that doesn't match! Are they allowed to do this?

Rudeolf Thu 25-Jan-18 20:51:00

Get them to take it all back up & they can take it back to the shop. Demand a refund.

Isn't there another place you can use?
I used a local place on an industrial estate. They were amazing. £1050.

Carpet right wanted £2000.

mrsBeverleyGoldberg Thu 25-Jan-18 20:51:33

I got called a cunt by a carpet right fitter. I wasn't being a cunt.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 20:55:08

I've asked them to take it back up but they won't. I've asked for compensation but they won't. I told them how poor quality the beading is as it's lifting and peeling in the corners and they accused me of hitting it with a hammer lol. I've paid a lot of money for this like I would do that!

MaunderHunt Thu 25-Jan-18 20:56:00

We have just had Amitco fittted. They screeded the floor beforehand and it butts straight up against the skirting.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:00:21

They screeded the floor in the kitchen but just put hard board down in the living room. Does it have anything to seal around the outside or is it just flush to the skirting board?

mommybear1 Thu 25-Jan-18 21:02:53

Good grief they are totally incompetent we had our Home (recently refurbed) done by Carpetshite they broke skirting boards and failed to use carpet gripper in places I could go on but we complained in person by email daily and insisted on speaking to a manager then his supervisor we ended up with the ceo in the end we got the carpet relaid and compensation. Ask for their complaints procedure and follow it make merry hell - you have rights speak to trading standards if needed - good luck and don't give up!

fuzzyfozzy Thu 25-Jan-18 21:03:17

Sounds like I'd be annoyed too. Take it take Facebook/Twitter and ask their head office to help.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:06:35

I have been back and forth with the store. I spoke to trading standards which was passed on to the regional manager and they still will not do anything. Do you think I should contact the CEO next? And how would i do that?

Missnearlyvintage Thu 25-Jan-18 21:16:37

If it was me I would slam them on social media. Twitter/facebook, all that kind of thing. Include pictures of the poor workmanship.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:21:33

I have done a little of that but think I will some more!!!

Glittermakeseverythingbetter Thu 25-Jan-18 21:23:59

Did you complain in writing? We had problems with a sofa company and argued back and forth for several months. In the end we paid £100 to small claims court and we got a full refund and court costs paid back to us by the sofa company.
Might be worth going down that route.

PotteryLady Thu 25-Jan-18 21:26:23

We have amitco in the hall and they boarded first then butted up to skirting. We had this because we didn't want beading. Hope you get it sorted.

Mybabystolemysanity Thu 25-Jan-18 21:27:21

We had a bit of a 'mare with Carpetright over fitting vinyl and a living room carpet which had been crushed and therefore damaged but fitted by their fitters anyway.

They sent out an independent assessor to inspect the carpet and decide what, if anything needed to be done and they did eventually replace it, although it took about six weeks.

I'd be insisting the area manager came to inspect your floor if you're really unhappy with it and can't get anywhere with the store manager. However, I do think you should carefully check your invoices to make sure beading wasn't specified in your installation- if it was, it's kind of up to you to read and query anything you don't understand.

Probably wouldn't use their fitters again, but the quality of the carpet has been fine.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:27:32

I have emails so I have copies of what has been said during complaining. I'll look into that. Thanks. I just want it all sorting now it's been so stressful

Bastardingcough Thu 25-Jan-18 21:29:19

In my earlier post I said about beading on amtico/LVT. It doesn't always need it, depends on the sublayer, but sometimes it's very fine wooden beading or a sealant (almost like bath sealant!)

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:45:21

Unfortunately there is beading on the invoice but I didn't know what this was at the time ... but surely they should have told me if they were using beading that isn't even made for my chosen flooring?

Spam88 Thu 25-Jan-18 21:46:33

We have sealant with our LVT.

Shprest Thu 25-Jan-18 21:48:20

FAO Bastardingcough so would it have been ok to fit with sealant? As I would've been happy with this, they've used this around some of my kitchen cupboards so I wondered why this couldn't have been done everywhere, but they said it needed breathing space?

MaverickSnoopy Thu 25-Jan-18 22:12:34

Can I suggest you take lots of photos for evidence; make sure you take lots of close ups. Even if the beading was on the invoice, it shouldn't have been substandard and shouldn't be tatty already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now