Talk

Advanced search

Grown up problems

(12 Posts)
Daydreamer95 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:11:45

Hello fellow mums, I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right sort of place, but I'm hoping your infinite knowledge can help! My parter and I don't go on dates. He has autism and he doesn't have a clue about dates, and my own knowledge is pretty limited. I'm hoping you guys can give us some help. They can't involve eating, loud noises or crowds. Thank you in advance

Footle Sat 04-Nov-17 11:27:58

What’s the question?

shivermytimbers Sat 04-Nov-17 11:31:52

Wouldn't you be better talking to your partner about this? Once you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism, and all that?

longestlurkerever Sat 04-Nov-17 11:36:13

These responses are a bit rude - I think the OP's question is asking for ideas for things she and her partner night enjoy that don't involve eating, loud noises or crowds. Sounds a reasonable question to me as it does sound a bit challenging. Do you live rurally or in a town OP? Walks (either in the day or to look at stars/lights?)? Some art galleries and museums have late openings - even the zoo does actually. Don't know if the cinema or theatre would suit?

Daydreamer95 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:03:31

Thank you, we have tried walks but it has to be to a set destination rather than enjoying the walk. Cinema is too loud, haven't tried theatre. There is a panto on locally soon so maybe that. He finds museums and galleries boring, the zoo could be good but there isn't one near by.

Daydreamer95 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:05:34

As I have said in the original post he doesn't have a clue about dating. Strangely enough I found this out by talking to him.

shivermytimbers Sat 04-Nov-17 14:17:29

Wasn't meaning to be rude Daydreamer. It's just that suggestions from people who don't know you both and don't know your interests probably wouldn't appeal. If you are aware of any special interests your partner has, it might be an idea to do something related to that possibly?

longestlurkerever Sat 04-Nov-17 16:15:45

Do you enjoy sports? Squash, badminton, that type of thing?

Footle Sat 04-Nov-17 16:21:31

I wasn’t meaning to be rude either, I just wasn’t sure what the question was. If it’s to find a quiet and unchallenging idea for getting to know each other, would a bus ride be good? Both facing in the same direction, no need for too much eye contact, and hopefully something interesting to point out and chat about.
Or cook a simple meal together? Washing up is a good joint activity.

shuggas Sat 04-Nov-17 16:57:50

Don you have a trampoline park nearby? Quite a lot of them have autism friendly sessions and it’s fun smile

longestlurkerever Sat 04-Nov-17 22:31:13

Some university lectures you can attend for free. Or you could do a class together. Wine tasting? Or does that count as eating? I sympathise because my dh has so many dietary issues that eating out is tricky for us too and I always struggle to think of alternatives. We go to gigs if there's something we fancy but obviously they're quite loud. Classical music or dance would be less loud. Sometimes dh and I play a computer game together like an old adventure game or something. Board games too. They're nights in though obviously

longestlurkerever Sat 04-Nov-17 22:32:08

I also like ice skating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now