Talk

Advanced search

Daytime naos

(3 Posts)
Zombiemum1 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:13:10

I'm after some advice on how to make my almost 4 month old boy take longer naps in the day. He puts himself off to sleep beautifully in the day and sleeps for around 4-5 hours at night but only naps for 20-40 mins in the day and is subsequently very narky all day because of this. We use 'white noise' and a darkened room already and as I said, going off to sleep isn't a problem but staying asleep is...... anyone have any techniques/tips I could try please

fannythrobbing Fri 06-Oct-17 16:23:41

Blackout dark room (can get a gro anywhere blind or cheaper alternative from amazon)
Sleeping bag and / or swaddle as you would for a night.
Although this may be normal for his age - at four months sleeping patterns change so they wake up after one sleep cycle (have a look at the 4 month sleep regression). This may be a phase that passes.
Also, it’s worth keeping an eye on the awake time as it’s really easy for them to become overtired and unable to link sleep cycles effectively - awake time shouldn’t be any longer than 2-2.25hrs - it should be as close to that as possible, any less and he may not be tired enough to sleep longer.
I’d expect 3 naps per day totalling 3-3.5hrs between a roughly 7-7 day.

Rainallday Fri 06-Oct-17 16:31:31

My five month old dd sleeps best in the day when I feed her to sleep and then lay or sit next to her. I usually look on my phone or read and she occasionally wakes up, checks I'm still there and goes straight back to sleep. She can sleep for a few hours like this. She has much shorter naps if she's in the pram or if I try and get anything else done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now