Talk

Advanced search

Is steroid injections safe for the unborn child?

(8 Posts)
user1496950804 Wed 14-Jun-17 00:36:03

Hello! Am new on this site. Am a 40 plus mum with a 6 year old. Any mums out there ever had steroid injections when they were pregnant?

OlennasWimple Wed 14-Jun-17 00:44:44

Yes, when it became clear that I was going to deliver early and the steroids were needed to help his lungs develop faster before birth.

How far along are you?

BertieBotts Wed 14-Jun-17 00:47:28

Well put it this way, you wouldn't want to give them to a healthy baby for shits and giggles, but like any medicine, they will only advise its use when the benefits outweigh the risks. If you're at risk of delivering early it's vital for your baby to have steroids as it increases their risk of survival outside the womb.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Wed 14-Jun-17 01:08:11

I had to have two before my DD was born. (ELCS almost a month early) they use them to help the babies lungs mature if they know/believe they will be here early. DD had an APGAR of 8 at birth and 9 five minutes later, don't know if that was the injections or just luck but if the hospital have prescribed them then as a PP said it's because they believe the benefits outweigh the risks.

hedwig2001 Wed 14-Jun-17 03:41:58

Can you clarify what situation you are talking about? Is it the injection given when a premature birth is threatened?

PotteringAlong Wed 14-Jun-17 04:06:58

Steroids to help develop the babies lungs or steroids for a different purpose?

Prescribed or illegal?

user1496950804 Wed 14-Jun-17 23:40:04

Sorry l did not clarify it's to develop babies lungs.

Perpetualstateofchaos Wed 14-Jun-17 23:46:39

My ds2 was 4 weeks prem and I was never offered the steroid injections despite them inducing me as waters had broke. He then had 2 years of near constant chest infections. Neighbour had them and was a week ahead of me and her d's was fine so given the option of have them. I truly believe ds2 had so many infections as he's lungs were not mature enough for his arrival.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now