Talk

Advanced search

Other Aussie mums on here?!

(9 Posts)
Abercrombie123 Wed 17-May-17 22:34:01

Hi everyone - just following on from the lovely responses I got to an earlier thread... I am really interested to hear from other Aussie mums who have made the move to the UK (we are moving to Hitchin). Did you find a big difference in schooling? My kids are in Kindy and Year 4. I'm wondering whether there is a big difference in standards? Just trying to anticipate what to expect for my little ones, and whether you have been happy with the move? Thank you!

HealthySally Tue 23-May-17 15:00:35

I'm not an Aussie Mum but I have a good friend who has emigrated to Aus from the UK. So I could ask her if you like. Good luck with the move when do you arrive?

Abercrombie123 Tue 23-May-17 20:03:28

That would be great thanks! I'd love to hear any comparisons

HealthySally Tue 23-May-17 21:31:06

Hi I've sent her a message - what brings you to the UK?

Abercrombie123 Tue 23-May-17 23:59:52

Thank you. I'm actually English - been living in Aus for a long time and it's just time to come home now!!

beingsunny Wed 24-May-17 00:07:08

Ooooh!
I'm actually English and living in Oz but moved here from Hitchin grin

Abercrombie123 Wed 24-May-17 00:11:41

Oh funny! What part of Oz? Can I ask what differences (if any) you have found between the English and Oz schooling standards? My concern is that my kids will be "jumping ahead" by 6 months when they switch from an Aussie to a U.K. Primary school...

beingsunny Wed 24-May-17 00:20:37

I live in the eastern suburbs of Sydney so all the state schools here are excellent.

Obviously they start at an earlier age in the U.K., depending on area schools vary a lot in standards.

Catholic schools in my exp are far superior in England, hitchin is fairly affluent and I have family and friends schooling there who are happy.

There is a good sense of community, sports etc.

When are you moving?

HealthySally Wed 24-May-17 09:08:59

Hi,
Gabby thinks the one in Kindy will be fine. Going into Year 4 may be tougher. It's first year of junior school & there is a big jump up particularly in terms of amount of homework. UK kids start a year earlier & get homework pretty much straight away. That said I think kids are wonderfully adaptable and as long as the school is fully aware I'm sure they'll help.

It's a big time of change for me too. Have just moved to Devon to be with my Mum having lived in Cambridgeshire for 20 years! Are you moving back to an area you know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now