Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice please! Moving to Hitchin from overseas

(15 Posts)
Abercrombie123 Tue 16-May-17 22:28:57

Hi, my family is moving to Hitchin from overseas. With the different way the school year is structured overseas, my child will have missed out 1/2 a school year when she starts in september. Has anyone else made this sort of move? How did your children cope with jumping ahead 6 months in the school year? Thanks

LTBiscuit Tue 16-May-17 22:30:11

cant help re the move.. but just wanted say how lovely Hitchin is!

Abercrombie123 Tue 16-May-17 23:02:44

Ah thank you! I am just worried because I keep hearing how over subscribed the good schools are...

LTBiscuit Tue 16-May-17 23:04:36

I have one in Robert Bloomfield in Sheffor and Campton Lower which are about 15 mins outside of Hitchin. They're lovely schools and plenty more in the area. Hitchin Boys/Girls school are very good too smile

Abercrombie123 Tue 16-May-17 23:34:06

Can I be cheeky and pick your brains even more?! I've heard that catchment areas don't really apply - that you submit a short list of your preferred schools and just hope for the best?

GoldfishHaveNoMemory Tue 16-May-17 23:49:22

That's true. Catchment areas only sort of relate to that year, based on the furthest distance admitted, so they give you a guide by looking at the last few years distances, but it isn't guaranteed.

I know Hitchin quite well. What areas and schools are you looking at? How old are your children?

GoldfishHaveNoMemory Tue 16-May-17 23:50:26

Re the missing half a year, depends what year and where you are coming from!

Abercrombie123 Wed 17-May-17 00:03:38

We are coming from Australia. My youngest will do 6 months of Kindy here and then go straight into year 1 in the UK. My eldest will do 6 months of year 4 and then go straight into year 5. I'm looking at the SG4 and SG5 post codes as they seem to have good schools and be close to town / rail links etc. thanks for any advice!!

GoldfishHaveNoMemory Wed 17-May-17 00:12:00

I am from Oz!

so William ransom, Purwell, highover, Mary Exton, possibly wilshere dacre and Samuel Lucas? When are you moving? There are currently only spaces at ... hang on let me get you the link....
www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions-change-schools-during-the-year/school-vacancies/school-vacancies-reception-to-year-6.aspx

GoldfishHaveNoMemory Wed 17-May-17 00:15:35

So current year four, going into five in September? There are vacancies at highover and Oughton. Out of those two I would chose Highover. If you want them in the same school, also take out wilshere dacre (y3 upwards) and strathmore (below y3 only).

There are some really nice houses for sale ATM on right move inthose areas!

What part of oz are you coming from?

GoldfishHaveNoMemory Wed 17-May-17 00:16:27

Vacancies will change though, especially at the turn of the academic year, so keep an eye on the link!

Mise1978 Wed 17-May-17 00:44:40

Your children are so young. Going forward 6 months shouldn't cause too much trouble.

My son moved from Finland (half way through grade 2) to Australia. They put him into grade 4 to keep in with the same age group. And he was also bilingual. Finnish being his native tongue. Though his English was almost as good. So he skipped 1.5 years and walked into a different system altogether. He has done absolutely fine. He is just an average student. They put him in ESL and was quickly kicked out as he didn't need it.

Your children will be fine missing out 6 months. They are so young and the younger you are, the easier it is to adapt. Good luck 😊

Abercrombie123 Wed 17-May-17 03:50:03

Thanks for all the advice ladies! We are coming from Sydney, lots to organise!!

LTBiscuit Wed 17-May-17 15:54:49

Yes, as long as the lower schools have space they'll take out of catchment. Less so for middle/upper schools though. Shillington School is in SG5 which is a very sweet village school.

LTBiscuit Wed 17-May-17 15:55:35

The schools in Henlow are also very good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now