Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox! Help!

(13 Posts)
GHardy92 Mon 15-May-17 18:51:04

Hi all,
My daughter who is 14 months developed her first spot on Wednesday and has had lots of new ones appear daily since. She's covered head to do. She's also be completely inconsolable since Saturday, won't sleep (night or day), won't eat, won't play.. just wants to be held and even then still whines. It got so bad last night I took her to see a GP who said she just has a really bad case. Can anyone shed any light on what helped their little ones sleep? And also how long the whole thing lasted? I'm not only exhausted, but it's so heartbreaking 😭

dementedpixie Mon 15-May-17 18:55:00

Have you tried piriton and any of the creams (virasoothe/poxclin/aqueous melamine, etc)? Spots normally crust over in 5-7 days

GHardy92 Mon 15-May-17 19:06:41

Yeah I've been giving her piriton morning and night and it doesn't seem to have helped at all? As well as poxclin and camemile lotion.. plus calpol. I don't know what else there is I can do! 😩 X

Ledkr Mon 15-May-17 19:22:07

Is she poorly? I mean on top of the obvious discomfort of chicken pox.
My dd has just got over it and it wasn't too bad. We had one bad night where she couldn't sleep but the piritun calpol and virasooth seemed to help loads.
My son however, developed complications from the infected spots and was very unwell.
Pox should t cause anything more than discomfort and a mild fever, anything more would need checking imo.

GHardy92 Mon 15-May-17 19:41:53

Hi, thanks for your response. What were the symptoms of your son's infected spots? There are a few in the nappy area where she's scratched the heads of the scabs off and they look very sore, so unsure if they're infected. I phoned 111 last night and they said the same- she shouldn't​ be this upset by chicken pox so to go in to out of hours. He examined her and said she just has a bad case and to see it through. I thought it would be getting better, but it's progressively getting worse.

FlaviaAlbia Mon 15-May-17 19:46:02

In your place I'd go back to out of ours and tell them it's getting worse. It usually lasts about a week I think.

Has she been drinking? It's so easy for little ones to get dehydrated.

dementedpixie Mon 15-May-17 19:53:06

Remember not to give ibuprofen as it can cause adverse skin reactions. Dd liked a cold cloth pressed against the spots especially at night.

Ledkr Mon 15-May-17 20:14:52

Op. In answer to your question, ds had a high temp and refused to move off the sofa. He has an angry red spot on his abdo and it was tracking down to his groin.
Hope she feels better soon

markTT Tue 16-May-17 06:46:47

What a shame for you & your little one.

I had my little one vaccinated against chicken pox last week. So pleased I had it done

amysmummy12345 Tue 16-May-17 06:55:18

We used bicarbonate of soda in the bath to help stored up the drying out process. I've heard oatmeal baths are very soothing.

lovemyhorsesxo Tue 16-May-17 07:03:12

Whatever you do don't give nuerofen it causes a severe reaction with the chicken pox

FlaviaAlbia Tue 16-May-17 15:52:44

How's things today GHardy92? Hope you've seen an improvement flowers

Earthmoon Tue 16-May-17 16:01:02

Hi my sons had it last month and ds1 had a bad case that got infected. The only thing that help with the itching before the infection started was cooling gel. I ordered it from Amazon and it was called ViraSoothe Chickenpox Relief Cooling Gel.

Hope it improves soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now