Talk

Advanced search

washing after birth

(11 Posts)
user1492285742 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:00:00

hi, new to all of this, i found out i was pregnant for the first time after trying for over a year but i have a very strange problem, i have a lot of body and facial hair - i shave my face every day and will not leave the house unless i have done this and applied powder makeup as its noticeable after 24 hours (sometimes less). i am worried that if i need a stay in hospital that i will not be able to have a private wash in which to shave my face (i use a wet razor as electric doesnt get close enough) and will end up looking like a circus freak for all the other mums on the ward to stare at.

inappropriateraspberry Sat 15-Apr-17 21:02:59

I'm sure most hospitals have large wheelchair accessible loos with sink and mirror that you can go in and have a wash/shave. It's unlikely to be just cubicle toilets, as most women there will want some privacy. Otherwise, just ask a nurse or your midwife - I'm sure they'll be able to help, and please don't be embarrassed, they've seen (or will see) a lot more of you!!

jcrussell86 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:06:12

this might sound strange but i'm fine with anything/everything else being seen, my worries just seem to be my face, if i could wear a paper bag i'd be quite happy

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Apr-17 21:09:08

Would you consider a home birth?

Is your condition hormonal? Might this change with pregnancy?

mikesh909 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:09:09

On my recent stay on the postnatal ward, there were toilets with sinks and mirrors in each bay and also larger bathrooms and shower rooms, all with sinks and mirrors. There are curtains which you can pull around your bed if you want privacy from others but honestly, no-one there is winning prizes for looking good! I imagine you'll hear a lot of comments to the tune of 'you really won't care once you've given birth' and you might find that to be true but even if you do, it won't be a problem. Make sure whatever you need is packed in your hospital bag and you'll be fine. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

SamoanSamosa Sat 15-Apr-17 21:11:03

Yes there'll be a private shower room, just pack a mirror and a small bowl in case the sink isn't clean. You could even do it with the curtain pulled round if you are bed bound or feeling too shaky to stand and do it.

ChocChocPorridge Sat 15-Apr-17 21:12:22

I've had 2 c-sections and still been up on my feet within hours (first hospital had a rule about pooing before you were allowed home, second I was so hot and sweaty and bleeding that I had to wash or go mad).

There were private bathrooms - toilet, shower, mirror in each case, plus you're in a bay with curtains.

Please don't worry about this, you will be able to get to a private bathroom.

Cwtchythings Sat 15-Apr-17 21:14:46

I've had my DC in three different hospitals and each postnatal ward had individual toilet/shower rooms with sinks and mirrors. You'll probably get a tour of your hospital or birth centre during your pregnancy too, so you can check the facilities out.

Big congratulations on your pregnancy! flowers

newmumwithquestions Sat 15-Apr-17 21:15:20

Both times I've had my own delivery room with large bathroom /shower and have showered there post birth - they didn't need the room back so I guess it depends how busy they are.
With DD1 I had to stay, so was transferred to a postnatal ward which had a shared large bathroom with shower, so although the ward was shared the bathroom wasn't - no one would see you shave.
Not sure if you're allowed a shower after a section though - that could complicate things if you need one?

newmumwithquestions Sat 15-Apr-17 21:16:02

Sorry, also to add there were large mirrors over the sinks in the bathrooms

jcrussell86 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:50:02

no apparently its genetic however nobody else in my family suffer to the same degree as i do (i'm really hoping the baby wont suffer from it too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now