Talk

Advanced search

older mum

(30 Posts)
user1490990338 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:11:09

I had my one and only daughter when I was 39. Now im 48 sitting at drama, dance and skating classes with mams in their 30s feeling ancient. Ànyone else out there the same x

YoureMyWifeNowDave Fri 31-Mar-17 21:19:08

I had my daughter 2 weeks before my 39th birthday, I'm 45 now and currently feeding my 8 month old son to sleep smile

OhSoCheekyChick Thu 20-Apr-17 20:23:44

Hello ladies,

I'm 42 and just discovered, much to my surprise that I'm preggers with my 1st 😀 Long way to go still of course, but just seeing you two fellow "geriatrics" has warmed my soul!

Was just saying to OH that bet all the classes will be filled with fit and nubile mums to be in their twenties..... eek!!

Leedsmum40 Wed 03-May-17 14:08:43

Hi ladies
I'm 40 41 this year and pregnant with my 1st baby boy💙 I have 2 daughters already aged 20 and 11,this pregnancy was a huge shock to me and my husband as it wasn't planned and tbh I didn't think I'd ever get pregnant at this age!! Very nervous regarding managing the labour pain as I was in my 20,s and 30,s with my first two,whereas already I'm suffering with tiredness,back pain,mood swings and lack of sleep,I'm due 23rd August,nice to see there are older ladies than me on here as I haven't spoke to anyone my age who's pregnant! We're yours naturally conceived? X

OhSoCheekyChick Wed 03-May-17 18:15:46

Hey Leedsmum,

Congrats on your surprise - you've done it twice before so you can do it again!! 👊🏽

My 8 week old twiglet is naturally conceived - and completely by surprise.... it's also my first time!! I'm trying to not even think about giving birth yet..... I'm 42 and it terrifies me!!

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Wed 03-May-17 18:18:21

I had ds at 43.
Became a gm when he was 18 months!!
Is weird being dm and gm in the same minute!!

missnevermind Wed 03-May-17 18:21:23

My daughter was born a few months after my 40th. But she is my 4 th. Ages range between 19 and 6.
But I am old and creaky now lol

AugustCarrot Wed 03-May-17 18:24:01

I'll be where you are on a couple of years. Child is 4 now and I'm 43, so had him at 39.

I'm dreading being the old fart at the school gates!

SpeckledyHen Wed 03-May-17 18:41:10

My DS 1 is 22 and I had him when I was 39 & 5 months and his brother followed 2 and a half years later . I think there are more older mothers now than there was then ? And I lost count of the women who thought I was their granny !

Leedsmum40 Mon 08-May-17 15:45:59

Hi ohsocheekychick! Thanks for the positivity! Wishing you well for your new bundle of joy! Such a blessing at our age don't you think? Xx

SuperStar50 Tue 09-May-17 09:44:18

Hi all had my big boy at 35 and my surprise (unplanned!) twins at 37, then early menopause at 41!! I'm glad we had 9 years of fun before the kids, but recently my oldest (15) commented on how our relationship was more 'formal' than the ones his friends had with their parents. Made me feel a bit old!! SpeckledyHen - glad it wasn't just me that got mistaken for my kids' Grandma!

Firenight Tue 09-May-17 09:47:31

I was 36 when I had my second but just wanted to say there are plenty of parents older than me at the school gates. Younger mums are more unusual around here I think!

feetheart Tue 09-May-17 09:57:59

Had DD at 40 and DS at 43. They are now 14 and 11 and, yes I am probably the oldest mum at the school gates/Scouts/gymnastics/etc but I am also probably more active and fitter than most of my friends who are 10-20 years younger smile
How you deal with it all is up to you although DS breaking his leg at 3.5 was what forced me to take up running (I needed the headspace) and I haven't looked back.
We talk quite a bit about DH and I being older parents but the DC say it doesn't bother them. It has certainly kept me out of the mad competitive parenting lark that can go on as age has given me the confidence to not give a stuff grin

MarklahMarklah Tue 09-May-17 10:23:09

I had DD when I was 42, and she's now 6.
Having met the majority of parents for her class at school, I think I am the oldest, but I'm not 100% sure - there are a couple of mums whose age I don't know. The parents range in age from early 20's to mid/late 40s so no issue there. Everyone is friendly and thankfully all the kids get on. I realise this is rare.
Most of my peers are either childless or had children in their 20s, so amongst my friends I'm the 'geriatric' mum. Like you, feet we don't do the competitive parenting.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Tue 09-May-17 18:51:42

Nearly 43, and DD is still only 5. I do sometimes feel like a bit of a fossil at the school gates, but normally our CM picks up anyway so I don't get self conscious about it.

In our NCT group there were 8 mums, and I wasn't the oldest, by some margin. That was very reassuring!

Still debating the possibility of a second DC. I probably won't, but not because of my age. Its just because DH spends so much time working away and I'd be alone with DD and a newborn.

So, hurrah for older mums. It's not so bad...and good to know there are lots of us about!

stellacat123 Sat 20-May-17 21:31:20

I'm 39 and pregnant with my first. I was on a local pregnancy Facebook group the other day and someone asked how old everyone would be when their current baby turned 18. There were loads of replies and the oldest said 43! I know there are plenty older mums about but it's always nice to see chats like this 😀 We're all fabulous!!

Vickylou78 Tue 23-May-17 23:22:19

You ladies are not alone! I had my first when I was 37 and I am 39 now and just planning to start trying for a second. I do worry sometimes that we are going to be really old parents and won't keep up with them and won't have so much in common etc. with younger parents.

But then when I was in my 20's I was single, I had no money, I was renting, I was starting my career and I wasn't at all ready for it so that's just the way it is! Will just have to try and eat well and try to stay fit!

FirsttimemumJan18 Fri 26-May-17 09:51:43

Hi I'm 42 and 5 weeks pregnant with my first child after several rounds of fertility treatment. I never thought I'd be lucky enough to experience this so I'm savouring every moment (Does that sound like I'm a saddo!) I do not 'feel' pregnant at all and the only symptom I felt after I had my Embryo Transfer was a distinctive metallic taste in my mouth. I've literally had no other symptoms...I have an early scan next week and probably won't believe it until then! x

Vickylou78 Fri 26-May-17 23:46:02

Ah first time mum, congratulations and I hope your first scan goes really well. I was exactly the same, couldn't believe it was true until saw it for myself! Oh and also I found that it's around 7 or 8 weeks when the symptoms start kicking in!! Extreme tiredness and dizziness being the worst. Enjoy! (It is a wonderful thing) even if we are old!

FirsttimemumJan18 Mon 29-May-17 20:54:05

Thank You VickyLou...I'll see how I'm doing with they symptoms come week 7 & 8! Perhaps tiredness will kick in because of my age!🙈 I have my scan on wednesday so will let you know how I get on...eeeek! Feeling excited and nervous at the same time x smile

Moonflower12 Mon 29-May-17 22:36:36

I'm 48 and have a naturally conceived 4 year old DD. A bit of a surprise-- bloody great shock!--
Especially as I was on the pill and have severe endometriosis. In fact we found out as I was at a scan to work out where was best to operate to relieve some of the symptoms- I was 31 weeks but they decided 37 weeks gestation. She was breech so she was born by c section one week later.

She is my 4th. The others are 27,21 and 19!

I do feel ancient sometimes but in our area it's not unusual to have your first in your early 40s.

ShelaghTurner Mon 29-May-17 22:51:27

Had my two at 36 and 40 and don't feel geriatric at the school gates. Feel about 109 generally but that's just me. Certainly dancing and school and brownies and all that don't make me feel any older.

Maheya Fri 30-Jun-17 17:27:54

Congrats to all the new mums and mums to be. This conversation make me feel all warm inside. I had my first at 39 I am now 42 and must admit I think I want another little one.

JacquelineChan Fri 30-Jun-17 17:32:38

I had my one and only aged 38 , he's 3 now and the mums round the nursery are way younger than me ! I don't feel old ( well i know I am ) - i feel really glam .
They are rocking the slummy mummy look confident in their youth but I feel I make an extra effort because I don't want to look frumpy haha

Flossie01 Sun 02-Jul-17 07:44:30

Great to read the feed. Had my first at 22, second at 26 and third giant surprise at 39. She is an absolute blessing and I appreciate her differently, however I can never remember being this tired when girls were small. Some days I do feel broken 🙈. And I do get a double take when we are all out together as folk think baby is my eldests' 🤣

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now