Talk

Advanced search

Soothing and sleep

(6 Posts)
Lisa9180 Thu 16-Mar-17 06:46:34

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. My daughter is now 14 weeks old. Around 5-6 weeks ago, up until then, she was used to falling asleep on us and then we would put her in her basket. I decided that she needed to get used to falling asleep in basket herself. Cue absolute meltdowns for a week! At one point it would take me 90 mins to get her down for a 30 minute nap! In the end I introduced a dummy as I didn't know what else to do to calm her down. This worked but then I found myself especially in the night getting up 7-8 times to pop the dummy back in her mouth. She's always been a great sleeper but I felt the dummy was getting in the way so went cold turkey at the start of the week and so far she has been a nightmare! Takes ages to settle and now seems to struggle to get back to sleep. I don't know what to do! Any advice would be appreciated!

BackforGood Thu 16-Mar-17 23:31:04

It's a long time since mine were babies! but I don't like to leave a new, worried Mum 'unanswered'.
If this doesn't bump it for you, you might get more answers by posting either in Behaviour / Development or - probably best - sleep

Good luck smile

Jenniferb21 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:35:31

Hi

I'm afraid this is a normal stage for newborns! So it's nothing you've done don't worry

Have you introduced a bedtime routine? I did at 6 weeks and it was the best thing I did.

Could try putting her down to bed asleep and then gradually put her down at more stages of awake until you put her down awake.

X

Orangebird69 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:37:24

It's totally normal - she's still so tiny. Don't start sleep training yet, it's way too early. Respond to her.

Lisa9180 Fri 17-Mar-17 01:02:40

Hey, yes we have a bedtime routine and did from early on but she's started waking and can't seem to settle herself. I've no idea if going cold turkey with the dummy has helped! If she has it it wakes her up if it falls out and me. If she doesn't have it, it takes her so long to settle 😫

Lisa9180 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:57:42

Thanks everyone for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now