Talk

Advanced search

separation and remaining in family home

(9 Posts)
Artemisia2012 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:29:48

Hi. I am new on this site so excuse me if this has been discussed many times before. I'm basically hoping to hear from people who have gone through separation and gone through the courts to be allowed to stay in the family home. I'm thinking of taking this step, understand it'll be costly, and just keen to hear people's experiences. Thankyou!

WallisFrizz Tue 28-Feb-17 20:32:41

How can it be anything but a toxic situation if the other party doesn't want you there. How will you move on? How could it be positive for your children.

I only have experience of dealing with people in this situation on a professional basis and it was awful for all involved.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 28-Feb-17 20:42:31

You may find people with experience of this in Relationships (under Body and Soul)

Artemisia2012 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:25:50

It is a toxic situation and i do want to move on. But can't afford to buy anywhere if we sell and split the proceeds of current home.

Loganlea Thu 09-Mar-17 06:57:56

If you have the children, then you should fight to stay there, as it is more stable for them, and when you do not have a secure roof over your head, it can lead to all sorts of mental issues and anxiety, and it will be difficult for you to do your best and be present for your children.

Artemisia2012 Thu 09-Mar-17 07:22:25

I totally agree with you. I saw a solicitor who said the court costs would be around £40,000. It's not money I can afford to lose, and have no idea if I'd be able to stay or not

Artemisia2012 Thu 09-Mar-17 07:23:33

Plus, it would take up to a year. My partner refuses to leave the house, which means we stay in this toxic relationship for another year

Everytimeref Thu 09-Mar-17 07:28:42

Assume you are not married and the house is in joint names? Unfortunately you will have no option than to go to court if they won't voluntary move out.
You need to consider whether the better option is you move out.

Artemisia2012 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:15:30

Correct. I know I'd have more options if we were married. It's a tough choice to make

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now