Talk

Advanced search

Moving near Peterborough

(4 Posts)
user1488011345 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:42:13

Hi to everyone and thank u for reading my post. I am from Edinburgh and my husband travels to Peterborough more and more now for work so we are thinking of moving to one of the surrounding villages near there. I've done a bit of research and like the sound of Stamford. I have two questions really. Firstly, is this a good area or are there any other areas you would suggest. (Ok , that was two questions!!)
Secondly, I have a 7 and 9yo. Our school system is different from yours and From looking at the various sources I'm wondering if there are different types of primary schools. Is that so, and also how difficult is it to get into a school that's over subscribed? I would really really appreciate any guidance. Moving in effect to another country ( ok, that's maybe a bit dramatic) with different systems in place for things is very nerve racking for me. Thank u

MongerTruffle Sun 26-Feb-17 20:34:13

I don't know much about Stamford but I live in Peterborough (in case you would consider moving here).

The area in general is quite safe in the sense that you wouldn't be scared to go out at night, but not so safe that you would let your children play in the street unaccompanied. Stamford was named the best place to live in the UK in 2013 by the Sunday Times. In the area there are a lot of new build housing estates if you consider buying (a brand new 3 bed detached house would set you back about £200k). Rents vary hugely, but a 3 bed detached house would cost £600-700 a month. This applies to the area in general, not just Peterborough.

The English school system is different, as you say, from the Scottish system. Within England, there are different systems. Stamford (in Lincolnshire) still has grammar schools in the area. Peterborough (in Cambridgeshire) does not. Both of your children would either be going to primary (4-11) or junior (7-11) schools. As your 9 yo is in either year 4 or year 5 (primary 5 or primary 6) now, you will probably be starting to think about secondary options. I doubt that you would cross county borders to get your children to primary school, but many children travel by bus or train across county borders to their secondary schools. There are not many oversubscribed primary schools (compared to other areas), so you shouldn't have much difficulty there. On the other hand, secondary schools are much more competitive. The two "main" secondary schools which everyone fusses about in the area are Bourne Grammar School in Lincolnshire and The King's School in Peterborough (where DS currently goes). Bourne is selective and King's selects about 11% of its intake by test.

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 26-Feb-17 20:38:13

Stamford is a lovely town. You haven't mentioned budget but maybe the new builds are making housing affordable.

Lots of great primaries. Secondary is varied but lots of choice if willing to travel to other towns.

user1488011345 Mon 27-Feb-17 09:07:19

Thank you very much for your reply. Are there any primary schools
In the area that you would avoid ? We are flexible in terms of affordability for rental properties so are lucky in that we can afford to be selective about where we stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now