Talk

Advanced search

How long do silicone breast implants last

(7 Posts)
schiedel Thu 23-Feb-17 10:23:47

Not sure where to post this. Here goes. I've had silicone breast implant since 2004. Just on the right side to even out huge imbalance in size. Lately I've been worrying myself silly that something is wrong. Its always felt a little uncomfortable to sleep on that side, an awareness that there is something inside if you know what I mean. I know that with hormonal changes you can get twinges etc.
I'd just like to hear from others who have had implants a long time and have you had them checked. Is an MRI the best way of checking them, apparently mammograms can damage them?
You know when you start thinking about something and then you work yourself into a bit of a pickle, esp at night.
I've made a GP appointment for next Monday and will have myself checked and see what she advises.
The clinic I had it done in is closed now. Would have to go elsewhere, that isn't a major problem.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

namechange20050 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:31:07

10 years is the rule of thumb op. They may be fine though. Bit confused as to why you are going to see your GP; how will they be able to help?

schiedel Thu 23-Feb-17 10:35:47

I need a referral from my GP to see a consultant to get the MRI done and to have them checked.

Branleuse Thu 23-Feb-17 10:36:23

what implants did you have. Were they PIP?

schiedel Thu 23-Feb-17 10:37:56

No thankfully they weren't PIP. Silicone cohesive implants 330cl which brought my right side from an A to a D to match the other side.

AquaLatte Thu 23-Feb-17 10:38:11

I doubt a GP would refer for an MRI just to check them without any symptoms

Did you get them done privately? The clinic must have some follow up number even if they are closed?

Branleuse Thu 23-Feb-17 10:54:01

I think if they feel different and youre worried, then its worth asking your gp if you can have a scan, otherwise can you contact the company you got them done with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now