Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hillingdon vs NWP vs Watford General

(3 Posts)
Samir1984 Fri 16-Dec-16 11:28:43

Hi there guys

My wife and I have just found out that we are expecting our first baby. We saw our GP yesterday who wanted to refer us to Hillingdon, but we were a bit apprehensive as I have heard some horror stories. Truth be told I don't think any hospital is perfect but I wanted to know what all your thoughts were on Hillingdon vs NWP vs Watford General?

Any help would be appreciated as we have to make a decision by this weekend.

Thanks people

ohfourfoxache Sat 17-Dec-16 08:36:39

Congratulations!

I had ds at Hillingdon and now going back for dc2

Antenatal care was pretty good, postnatal was as expected (not great, but nowhere is). I liked the "individual" focus it tends to have- e.g. You don't get a huge epidural dose, you get what you need so that its effective but you're still mobile (quite an unusual but very effective approach). Staff were just lovely and if the shit hits the fan (as it did with us) then they were swift, kind, professional and just wonderful.

I researched it very, very thoroughly (I'm an NHS worker and have access to data on quality and patient safety through work) and Hillingdon came out on top by quite some way. However I last researched it in 2014 so any comparisons may well have changed since then.

Personally I wouldn't touch NPH with a barge pole, but a friend delivered there twice and says it's fine. But their published data isn't great- too many re admissions, unnecessary c sections and a poor patient:midwife ratio all put me off.

I'd recommend looking at the Board Papers from each Trust, especially their quality/safety reports. Have a read and see what you think- a lot of it will be RAG rated so you can clearly see what is good and what is bad. Obviously not everything will be applicable but you'll be able to get a feel for the Trust

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 17-Dec-16 16:49:01

Hi Samir1984

Congratulations flowers

We do have local talk which might help you get the answers you're looking for!

If you want to check it out, you can go to local.mumsnet.com and log in.

You can choose your local area by clicking on the small map of the Uk and then on the next 'Find a local site' page entering your postcode.This will bring you to the Local homepage for your area.

We really hope this helps.

If you ever need anything, do give us a shout!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now