Talk

Advanced search

Natural Science at Cambridge without Chemistry A level

(6 Posts)
user1472910683 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:02:38

My DD wants to apply at Cambridge for Natural Science and she is doing maths, further maths and physics for A level. She wants to do physical science. Does she need chemistry for this course ?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 03-Sep-16 15:07:10

What does their website say?

goodbyestranger Sat 03-Sep-16 15:08:38

Surely Further Education is the place to post?

roundandroundthehouses Sat 03-Sep-16 15:15:33

I'd think it's better to ask this question in Higher Education, but the University's website would be the best place to look for this info.

But while I'm here [win] - my dd1 was thinking of applying for NatSci (has since changed her mind). She is taking Chemistry A level, but IIRC the University counts Maths as a science for admissions purposes. However, without Chemistry or Biology the module options for NatSci would be pretty narrow. Another possiblilty your dd might want to consider is Maths with Physics. Essentially a Maths degree in first year, but you choose Physics modules in second and third year. It looked like a useful option for physicists who would prefer to avoid Chemistry and Biology.

(caveat: not an expert, just listened to my dd1 considering all the above)

goodbyestranger Sat 03-Sep-16 16:54:02

Yes I meant Higher not Further.

Agree about limited options.

Icapturethecast1e Sat 24-Sep-16 22:06:08

The school should be able to help with that. Saying that a chemistry A-level is very useful & your child seems very capable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now