Newbie! ...am I allowed on here if I'm just trying?

(14 Posts)
CarrieWed Sun 14-Aug-16 01:26:47

Hi, I'm new on here (obviously), & I don't know if I'm in the right place; because I'm not pregnant - just a little hopeful.
I've felt like I need an outlet and a bit of support - no matter what happens.
I guess I'm hoping to find it here.
I've had rather a tough day - didn't know it was possible to cry for 20 hours straight, but as it happens I've discovered it is; who'd have thought it? ...and I might not be done yet...
Anyway, if it is ok for me to be on here, I'd like to ask for some advice on the lingo - well, the acronyms to be more precise?
Like I said, I'm new to this world, and I don't understand things like 'AF' for example - although I'm sure it's something really obvious and I'm just being thick!
Please - anything you can think of that's commonly used (no matter how easy you think it might be) lay it on me.
And if I'm not in the right place, it's ok to tell me to fuck right off.
PS I only typed 'fuck right off' because I heard that swearing was actively encouraged and got you 'in'... 😕 ...and are emogies allowed? 🤔

PurpleDaisies Sun 14-Aug-16 01:34:36

You can be here if you're not s mum. Plenty of us don't have kids. There are men here too.

The main rule is not to be an arsehole. You won't go far wrong if you're nice.

Text speak is hated. Don't call people "ladies" or "girls". I'm not a fan of emojis except for the official mumsnet ones but I think that's because I'm a grump.

There's a page which explains all the acronyms. If you google "mumsnet acronyms" it'll come up.

Dandelionandfizz Sun 14-Aug-16 01:36:15

Welcome grin

http://www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

I'm hoping that works. It should help.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dandelionandfizz Sun 14-Aug-16 01:39:44

'Hun' doesn't go down well here either.

PurpleDaisies Sun 14-Aug-16 01:40:25

And kisses are frowned upon to. Xxx

PurpleDaisies Sun 14-Aug-16 01:41:34

And so are bad spelling and grammar (apologies for misuse of "to"...it is past my bedtime).

CannotEvenDeal Sun 14-Aug-16 01:41:55

Sometimes only the 💩 emoji will do imo.

(In my opinion) grin

WellErrr Sun 14-Aug-16 01:42:36

Oh goodness yes please don't drop any 'huns' or 'hubsters.' grin

Welcome! Loads of posters here don't have children, go nuts! But do check out the conception boards.

hatters Sun 14-Aug-16 01:43:58

You're definitely allowed, welcome!
A lot of users aren't parents, or are TTC (trying to conceive).

There are a lot of talk topics, so it's probably best to find one that fits the kind of support you think you would like, or just chat for some company.
Sorry you've had such a bad day flowers

There's a page with Acronyms Here
AF is either Aunty Flo, as in period, or AnyFucker a well known poster.

Swearing is allowed, not sure I'd go as far as encouraged, swear as much or as little as you like.
Emojis are allowed I think, though the Mumsnet specific ones are slightly more popular. The list and how to type them is at the bottom of any talk page.

I'm a bit of a serial lurker, so hope I got all that right.

Welcome again! Hope your day improves and that you find the support you are looking for smile

hatters Sun 14-Aug-16 01:44:32

Such slow typing blush

FastWindow Sun 14-Aug-16 01:50:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ley07 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:21:30

Hello, im a Newbie and I hope to become a valued member, getting to know you, forgive me while I learn the ropes.

CarrieWed Sun 14-Aug-16 21:55:34

Thank you ALL so much!
I read down that trying to take mental notes the whole way and hoping nobody would tell me off for anything!
Definitely won't type 'hubbie' - I have other names for him anyway...
Love your suggestions for things I might like to have a look at - I haven't worked out yet how to respond to an individual yet I'm afraid - but I will!
Like the TTC one; as that kind of gives me a place. And like the alternate meaning of AF.
What brought me to MN (is that a correct usuage?) was having missed two AF but...can't remember my ancronyn...having about five negative tests. I googled (I know, don't do it right?) but found the answer with you guys - that this can happen on Clomid.
So I guess it's a course of Provera to kick start my cycle again. The reason for the tears was that I'd tested when I was first late - as early as humanly possible...twice - and it was neg, which was ok, you know? But then we were away to visit friends and AF didn't show up the whole time...and you know how you can sometimes just WISH that just maybe it had been wrong, or I'd tested too early or something? Even though I really felt that I was keeping my feet on the ground and being realistic when I got that 'not pregnant' on the test the day we got home, well it was like someone had punched me in the guts...I'm sure I'm not alone in having experienced it.
Anyway - Google brought me to you all, and I would like to extend my thanks to you all for your advice on MN, and your incredibly kind welcome - no kisses, I promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now