Talk

Advanced search

Racist in laws

(4 Posts)
Miri123 Wed 31-May-17 19:35:20

Hi, sorry I'm not sure how this works but I really need some advice. Here goes....

I am of West Indian decent and my husband is French/Italian, for years I have put up with his family making horrible comments with regards to my skin colour. We have a daughter and not the comments is also directed at her e.g. My husband brother asked my daughter of she does sports and she said yes he asked her if she wins and she said yes sometimes he replied that's because you're black. My daughter looks at me and I was extremely shocked so stunned that he would say this to her, I didn't know what to say. After dinner I took my 9year old daughter aside and asked her if she understood what he said to her and she said yes she said she felt uncomfortable. My daughter is honey in skin tone and has brownish redish hair. My question is how do I deal with this? I have told my daughter we would not be going to any family gatherings again until they have stopped making comments such as these.....

I would tell him he is being racist! How dare he? What does your husband say? I hope he stands up for his daughter!

Kassi123 Wed 31-May-17 22:07:49

My husband says it was a joke don't take him on. I said to my husband when has racism become a joke... He never stands up for our daughter and I even though it's his family. I have to defend myself and my daughter all the time.

Thats tough. I feel for you. Maybe its time to reflect on how you feel about how that affects you and your daughter. Your daughter needs you to look out for her but I know it must be tricky. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now