Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

portable potty versus toilet seat

(8 Posts)
yingers74 Tue 09-Aug-05 13:56:11

So far potty training going ok. DD still asks for nappy for poo but I am happy to be patient on that issue. what I would like to know is when you are out and about do you use a portable potty or toilet sea. I have a potty but dd does not seem to like it, she will sit on it but do nothing and instead insist on waiting till she gets home, this is ok at the mo but may not be practical one day. Do you think I would have more luck if I took a seat with me instead? I have tried putting her directly on the toilet but because she cannot sit on properly on her own she gets scared and jumps off.

Marina Tue 09-Aug-05 14:32:03

We have found the Potette portable potty really useful over the years. Ds, aged six, is still liable to squawk for a loo break at short notice on long trips and it does help to have the Potette to hand. It is pretty sturdy.

Bozza Tue 09-Aug-05 14:35:03

I used an ordinary potty carried in the car or a fold-up toilet seat - until I left it in the plane toilet on an outward flight to Tenerife and DS had to suddenly get used to the big toilet seat.

WigWamBam Tue 09-Aug-05 14:39:24

We didn't get on with the Potette, we used it two or three times and each time, the wee sailed straight over the potty and landed on my shoes. It was easier to hold her and let her wee in the gutter if she was caught short away from a toilet.

I assume that when you put her directly on the seat you're holding her? It can take a few tries, and lots of reassurance that you won't let her fall, before they feel completely safe on a big toilet seat.

yingers74 Tue 09-Aug-05 15:15:16

Might try working on the big seat and see what happens. I find the potette quite fiddly. Tah for the advice x

deegward Tue 09-Aug-05 15:20:49

We are just back from hols, and had borrowed a friends porta potty. Ds2 who I had stupidly onlystarted training that week made it all the way to Cyprus by asking to go wee, and when we were in taxi to hotel going along the motorway declared he needed to wee. I whipped out the porta potty, and he wee in the back of the taxi!

He uses a mixture of porta potty, folding seat,and jsut holding on, it seems to work for us!

loupylou Tue 09-Aug-05 17:35:29

We love the toilet step and seat combination thing. Grace feels independent and often rushes off saying "back in a minute", i follow as need to get toilet roll and help her wash her hands!! but it's the first step.

nutcracker Tue 09-Aug-05 17:36:47

My Ds will not use a potty at all and so we went straight to a soft toilet seat which is ok apart fromt he fact that if you don't sit him far back enough, he wee's straight over it on to the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now