Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable Nappies +/- liners ?

(7 Posts)
Mojomummy Fri 05-Aug-05 12:47:20

From tomorrow have decided to use my resuable nappies, mainly in order for DD (2yrs) to feel wet when she has a wee. I got the nappies & the towelling liners out, then found the roll of flushable liners. These are horrible & scratchy. Do I need to use them ? do they do anything other than collect poo & make things uncomfortable ?

fqueenzebra Fri 05-Aug-05 12:50:25

There are lots of different types of liners. I mostly use cut up old (stained, no good to anybody) clothes (esp. polyester fleece) as reusable (if only wee'd on ) or disposable liners (if dirty).

Boots liners are not flushable but are much softer than the flushable liners I ordered (PHP?).

A friend never used liners, just washed the nappy out in the toilet if dirty, that is an option. She was a farmer's daughter, however, and used to mucking out stables so a bit of baby poop wasn't much to her.

KMS Fri 05-Aug-05 23:42:16

paper liners do mostly just collect poo and reduce staining of the nappy. There are thicker ones that look more like kitchen roll (I think LGE make them?) Fleece liners are much better but she won't feel as wet as they are better at letting moisture through and skin stays drier. so probably no good for her feeling wet and wanting to potty train.

BadHair Sat 06-Aug-05 00:02:04

I used fleece liners - just bought 2 metres of fleece and cut up into rectangles. Total cost of £4.
Flushable liners blocked my drains and cost me £45 to unblock. Would never use them again and would say that they are actually not flushable at all.
I too started with reusable nappies in the hope that my (then) 2.5 year old ds1 would feel wet and therefore want to potty train faster. It didn't work - he didn't feel any wetter than with disposables and was over 3 when we finally cracked the potty business. I think he liked them better as they were softer on his bot.
Ds2, however, has had disposables since he was 6 months, and has just potty trained at 2.9, but only reluctantly it has to be said.

CarrieG Sat 06-Aug-05 00:54:29

Never used liners at all - swish nappy down toilet under flush, then rinse under showerhead to ensure all poo removed before dumping in bucket of water & tea tree oil - job done!

I never quite understood how, if you're bothered by poo, picking a poo-ey liner out of nappy wouldn't be equally or more grimly disgusting than just lobbing the poo down bog while holding a clean corner - what if it's a really dodgy, runny poo? It'd get over the edges of the liner anyway...

Mojomummy Sat 06-Aug-05 18:56:53

well I tried to get DD in a lovely unbleached towelling nappy + paddin g& DD was having none of it & handed me a disposable.

We've been out all day (with disposables) & when we came back tried again with above & then a motherease....still NO MUMMY NO

DD hates different things...will try again tomorrow......or perhaps I'll just put her in knickers, which she doesn't seem to mind & go straight to potty training....

maisiemog Sun 07-Aug-05 20:09:16

Hi there, good luck with it. I use fleece liners which have a stay dry effect, but it has to be said only on the centre of the nappy, as that is the part covered.
I tried paper liners, but they kept disintegrating, which didn't seem helpful.
I hold the liner and nappy in pan and flush. If it is very pooey, I leave the nappy soaking in the loo and come back later. Whenever I have used disps I have also flushed solids, as I think that is the guidline.
Let's face it, if you have babies you are going to have to deal with poop.
Good luck with the toilet training. At least you won't have to buy any disps for a while/again (with any luck)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now