Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

He won't sit on it long enough to do anything.

(17 Posts)
nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 19:33:07

Am trying to start putty/toilet training Ds (2.8), but although he will quite happily sit on the potty or toilet, he will not actually stay on it for longer than about 3 seconds.

Have tried reading to him, watching tv, singing etc, but he just gets back up.

I'm sure he is ready because he will hide when he poos now, and then wants to be changed straight away, and he knows when he's done a wee cos he tells me he's wet.

Any ideas ??

Hausfrau Thu 04-Aug-05 19:41:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 19:55:14

I tried a book, but he just got up and said 'me sit down here' (on the sofa) instead.

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 19:55:36

Well done to your Ds though

lemonice Thu 04-Aug-05 19:59:42

what about if he toddles around without a nappy or anything?

Or sit him on the potty when you sit on the toilet?

Lonelymum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:02:31

Oh dear mine is the same! He is only 2 and a half but I have to train him by September as he goes to playgroup then (no nappies allowed). He sits on the potty no trouble, but never does anything, until I get him off and put him in the bath when he wees straightaway!

piffle Thu 04-Aug-05 20:06:12

I trained dd straight onto the toilet (with a seat insert), she was happy to sit and read a book, and of course she cannot get off either
She trained really nicely on the loo... and now will use the potty at nursery happily, whereas she would never use one at the beginning.

fisil Thu 04-Aug-05 20:11:49

nutty, we knew ds1 was ready a few weeks ago when he told dp to "hurry up and get my nappy back on daddy because I want to do a wee wee." So we were in the same situation as you - he was clearly ready but more than happy to let the world rotate around him!

We went completely cold turkey - he hasn't worn a nappy in the daytime since! Well, not quite true, we talked about it that evening when he was in bed and told him that next morning when he woke up he would be a big boy who always wore pants and weed in the potty. When he got up next morning we put him in pants straight away. Then we got some white paper and scissors and I cut out about 30 small clouds and 6 big ones. Together we fixed them to the wall in a swirly line going up to a big sun. At first there were big clouds quite regularly, by the end they were mostly little clouds. Then we got a toy airplane a stuck blutac on it. Every time he did a wee in the potty we moved the plane up a cloud. Every time he landed on a big cloud he got a small treat (a pencil, sticker sheet etc.). We made a real thing of moving the plane up. By the time he got to the sun he was totally sorted. We had a couple of mishaps in the first few days, but just ignored them. By day 4 he managed a 3 hour car journey (OK, with 5 stops, but no accidents).

However, he still won't poo in the potty and saves them up til he's got his nappy on at night!

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 20:13:09

He's not really keen on the potty, says he is too big when i sit him on it so we mainly use the toilet, and we have a soft trainer seat which he doesn't mind one bit.

Thats bad about the playgroup Lonleymum. I had to do that with Dd1 and I failed and she lost her place. You might know though a week later she was as dry and clean as anything, day and night

Have tried leaving him napyless and he wees on the floor, and then says me go toilet, once i've noticed.

Lonelymum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:13:17

fisil, how old is your ds?

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 20:14:57

Oh thats a fantastic idea Fisil

Think i need to get him some more pants. I only brought one pack of plain ones from Asda but when i try and put them on he runs off saying he doesn't like them.
I'll get him to pick some I think, see if that works.

Is it better to get pants or boxer tyle shorts ??

Lonelymum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:16:05

Pants will hold in the poo that ds will do in them! Boxer shorts would just let it fall through on to his trousers, wouldn't they?

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 20:18:43

Good point Lonelymum, pants it is.

Lonelymum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:20:08

Ahhh the delights of being a parent!

fisil Thu 04-Aug-05 20:20:19

lol lonelymum! ds1 is 2 1/2 (Jan b'day). Yes, I can vouch for pants' ability to keep poos in. Buy cheap pants, BTW, we always throw out the ones with poo in them!

Nutty, have you tried taking him with you to buy his pants - making it into a special treat. Just you two if possible, or if not prime the other kids to look impressed (which was easy for me cos ds2 is only 2 months old and spends most of his time staring at ds1 in awe). He can pick the pants and hand the cash over at the till, etc. (didn't have to do this for pants, but this is how we managed to get him off the bottle).

nutcracker Thu 04-Aug-05 20:30:37

We're out shopping tommorow, so will let him choose some then, hopefuly that will give him a bit of encouragement.

Will let you all know how we get on

nutcracker Fri 05-Aug-05 21:21:02

Update as promised ....

We went shopping for pants and eventually ds chose some Bob the builder ones.

Came home and put them on and since then he has made loads of trips to the loo and done 2 wees and a big poo

Am soooooooo pleased with him.

He hung on to me for dear life whilst doing the poo and did seemed quite frightened but I just kept saying mommys here and kept talking to him and he was amazed when he saw what he'd done.

I am really pleased with him, but sad too, cos it means i'm losing my baby, silly i know.

So fingers crossed it will keep going so smoothly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now