Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Gina ford... In one week?

(12 Posts)
dabihp Mon 01-Aug-05 20:21:03

I am considering buying this? Anyone used it? was it any good?

DD is 2.8mnths and so very very bright, but have just had dd2 and dont think dd1 wants to give up nappies now cos dd2 has them... sigh....

WigWamBam Mon 01-Aug-05 20:32:21

If he's not ready then there's not much point in trying. I haven't read the Gina Ford book, I just waited until my dd was ready to start using the potty, and she was dry right from the start.

halcat Thu 04-Aug-05 19:32:52

A mate of mine tried it but it was a disaster, mainly because her son just wasn't ready. She then waited a few months and tried it again and it was fine. So I reckon WWB is right...

beccalanismum Thu 04-Aug-05 19:43:12

I borrowed this when I started - main useful piece of advice was once they are in knickers during the day dont put them back in nappies come what may or this is confusing - worked ok with us. My dd was definately ready (almost 3) her problem was relaxing enough to do a wee (record for holding it in 7 hours)- once she did not many accidents

Good luck

dabihp Thu 04-Aug-05 20:10:46

problem is dd (2.9months) just doesnt care if she wets knickers... "oh, mummy, I had an accident!" Pull ups are costing a fortune!! but i cant have her peeing all over the place, and what about going out? sighhh.....

So, book no good then?

WigWamBam Fri 05-Aug-05 20:17:37

Nothing is going to be any good if she's not ready yet. I'd suggest going back into nappies and leaving it for a little while before trying again.

gemmamay Sun 07-Aug-05 12:32:58

my friend has just done this with her son and has worked (it is early days)

i've got the book and read it but my dd won't go anywhere near the potty so the recommendations of getting her to sit on it for 10 mins might be a way off yet.

pacinofan Sun 07-Aug-05 13:32:53

Hi, I have the book and am actually starting today (well, this afternoon). Will post in a couple of days with results ..... dd is 2.8 by the way.

dabihp Sun 07-Aug-05 15:30:25

hi, my dd is 2.8 as well, we are using huggies pull ups at the moment, at a very fast rate, and for nearly £7 a packet I need to get her out of them! goign through 2 packs a week!!

pacinofan Mon 08-Aug-05 08:09:48

Well, I know I said I'd post in a few days but just thought I'd let you know how day 1 went. 4 wees - all on the carpet. I spent all afternoon trying to be a bright and cheeful, positive mummy whilst mopping up the wees. Will give it another whirl today, am dreading Thursday when we have a trip to the park planned - dd will be in the car around 30 minutes! Am determined to go, will just chase her around with the potty and take loads of spare clothes.

Not using pull-ups, too expensive and am hoping that if i just use pants dd will realise she is wet, iyswim. Really glad DH is home today and tomorrow, could do with some moral support!

KiwiKate Mon 08-Aug-05 09:08:11

beccalanismum - we took a more relaxed approach, and it has worked really well. We started off with no nappies at home, but kept nappies on for going out and for night time and nap time.

Once dry at home, we started leaving nappies off for occassional outings. Nappies are now 95% dry on return from outings (and DS usually asks for the toilet whereever we are). So no stress about accidents when out.

We'll sort out the nap and night time nappies when the going out phase is sorted.

DS is only 2.3 and started climbing onto his potty of his own accord (it was sitting in the lounge, and he had a book showing kids using the potty, and he kept asking to go).

dabihp - we don't use pullups. They regressed DS's efforts (because they were too comfy!). So he is either in undies (at home and for some short outings), or in nappies (naps, night time and longer outings). We have found this to be no-stress (on us and DS).

KiwiKate Mon 08-Aug-05 09:32:58

Meant to say that he does not get confused between when he does or does not have a nappy on, although I always do remind him when he has no nappy on and we go out ("remember to ask for the toilet if you need it, because you have no nappy on").

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now