Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Re-useable Nappies for a baby with excema?

(20 Posts)
dizzymama Mon 01-Aug-05 10:32:15

Hi all, dd is 6 months old now and I would like to try a more eco friendly approach to nappies. Have tried the Sainsburys 'Nature boy and girl'ones as they're bio-degradable but they caused dd's excema to flare up and gave her horrible nappy rash. A friend suggested that the re-usables may be more skin friendly and that a few Mom's on here with childen with excema used them. Any advice? Anyone got suitable ones to sell??

sassy Mon 01-Aug-05 16:18:03

Hi dizzy, hope you and dh enjoyed your fri!

Put a call out for misdee - she def uses washables and has excema in family.

dizzymama Mon 01-Aug-05 19:57:36

Ta chuck, will do! Friday was lovely but I missed her like crazy!!!

misdee Mon 01-Aug-05 20:00:12

All my kids have eczema. i use washable nappies now only on dd3. have had a few probs as when her skin is flared a bit then the elastic rubs but i was given a lovebums wrap (with fleece cuffs, not elastic) which keeps her skin good. use minimal amount of washing powder for washing them, and line dry then where possible. hardly ever get a flare up on their bottoms.

dizzymama Mon 01-Aug-05 20:01:36

You beat me to calling for you Misdee!!! Thanks, I'll remember that, fleece cuffs. Wish me luck!!

misdee Mon 01-Aug-05 20:02:58

during the day i use fuzzi bunz, at night i use tots bots or wee-notions, with ME airflow wraps most of the time, and the lovebums one the rest of the time.

dizzymama Mon 01-Aug-05 20:04:32

It sounds so complicated, but I suppose you get used to it quickly. Thanks for all the names, I'm going to do a bit of web shopping!!

misdee Mon 01-Aug-05 20:07:11

if u get tots bots then get size 2's, and also get some fleece liners.

louli Mon 01-Aug-05 20:10:14

My DS had bad excema and I used to use Moltex disposibles which were great. There are loads of sites on the net which sell them. The cheapest one I found was Naturebotts. Also used washables with him and didn't have any problems. I found the Imse Vimse and Bumpy wraps good. The wraps are made with Cotton.

dizzymama Mon 01-Aug-05 20:13:36

Thank you, I love mumsnet, people are so helpful. Thanks again

MisterMalk Tue 02-Aug-05 12:16:15

Hi All, my first post, and as you may guess, I'm a dad, not a mum, but I hope you won't hold it against me.
My kids don't have eczema, so I can't vouch for how well these work, but I know that Little Green Earthlets sell a silk liner called a "bourette", that is meant to be good for babies who suffer from skin conditions including nappy rash and eczema.
I imagine that they could be used with most washables.
Hope that helps.

misdee Tue 02-Aug-05 12:32:35

pssst, the silk liners have to be handwashed. i have a couple and they do work well, but when you have to handwash them with poop on its quite messy.

jenk1 Tue 02-Aug-05 18:26:54

can someone tell me where to buy the lovebums etc as i havent tried reusable ones before but my dd who is 15months has eczema and i will try anything,thanks

moresleepplease Tue 02-Aug-05 18:56:09

Hi
I use Bambino Mio on my four month old. She gets a lot of dry skin on her upper body but VERY rarly ever gets any sort of nappy rash. They are really easy to use as well. Hope that helps.

MrsDoolittle Tue 02-Aug-05 19:08:45

I'm expecting Number 2, I'm looking forward to the excuse to buy this wrap , it will be lovely against a newborn baby skin.
Dd has exzema, I use a fleece wrap at night as it is nicer around her legs.
I think you'll find that using reusables your baby's skin won't dry out as much, that's what I find. Her exzema is out in her nappy at the moment, but inside a bumble nappy or fleece lined tots I can avoid it drying out too much. Infact, I slap on a load of vaseline for good measure.

MrsDoolittle Tue 02-Aug-05 19:11:02

By the way ladies, I heard on the radio recently that eczema in children is at unprecedented levels at the moment - 25%!!
So I think there are a few of us out there trying to deal with this problem.

vkone Wed 03-Aug-05 17:50:48

Has anyone tried happy heiny's with excema? IT says in the blurb that the fleece inner rolls out so that no elastic touchs the skin?

Just curious really
Mia

babycentral Thu 04-Aug-05 14:50:34

I have/had same problem. 'Nature boy girl' were too rough and thus irritated the skin. I liked Moltex at first but still caused flare ups and they are expensive and if I am not mistaken have the same gel as pampers etc., they are just made from recylced material. Tushis are chemical free and are good just really thick. Most of the time we use washables. Imse Vimse and Motherease are our favorites.

Chuffed Thu 04-Aug-05 15:07:48

I've got 3 happy heinys, 2 work great and one leaks after about an hour with the same padding as the other 2. dd has somewhat sensitive skin but not 'excema' as such.

wowy Thu 04-Aug-05 20:10:16

my son has eczema and has used most brands of washables with no problems, however during a flare up i found that the moterease wraps would irritate his legs. mothereas all in ones are softer and looser around the legs but work out quite expensive.
try tots fleece wraps. lovely and soft and work with most nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now