Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

is 14mths to young to potty train?

(23 Posts)
mum2mikey Tue 26-Jul-05 21:23:18

is it?

hunkermunker Tue 26-Jul-05 21:23:58

IMO (and having a 15mo), yes.

Why do you want to?

kid Tue 26-Jul-05 21:26:15

I would say yes, its too young. If the child in question is happy to have a go at sitting on a potty then there is no harm in that. But I wouldn't force potty training at this young age.

Blossomhill Tue 26-Jul-05 21:27:35

OMG yes. Even if a child is mentally ready their muscles are not physically ready. You may find that you have a hell of a lot of accidents too!

Twiglett Tue 26-Jul-05 21:28:24

of course .. unless they happen to be able to take off and put on their own clothes

is this a joke?

PiccadillyCircus Tue 26-Jul-05 21:30:08

DS is 20 months and there would no way he could manage to take off his own clothes, know that he needs to wee/poo and do it, which is the point of being potty trained I think.

He also couldn't talk at all then so I have no idea how he would have communicated anyway.

expatinscotland Tue 26-Jul-05 21:30:39

I didn't think they even were capable of controlling their sphincter muscle at that age.

Chandra Tue 26-Jul-05 21:32:15

I would say so, but some people try it, though I am most of the idea that if you are successful in potty training a young child it may well be the case that it's the mother who has been trained to avoid the accidents rather than the child being really potty trained.

Nbg Tue 26-Jul-05 21:33:39

How do you pronounce that muscle Expat? (I've just learned something new!)

My dd is just coming up to 22 months and we had a go at potty training last week. She can take her clothes off but she just doesn't get the whole potty thing yet.
Although I have had the "all mine were potty trained by 18 months" jab from MIL!
Sigh!

mum2mikey Tue 26-Jul-05 21:43:07

thanks guys. tis just he keeps taking his nappy off when he has done a pooh and showing me.

Chandra Tue 26-Jul-05 21:49:42

NBG according to MIL, DH was potty trained at one and his cousin who as my DS had eczema was potty trained at 5m . Couldn't help and ask if he was able to sit on his own while sitting on the potty, or even ppoint to his nappy as I understand children don't even point at that age (forget about talking...)

Nbg Tue 26-Jul-05 21:51:02

Wow 5 months! Thats an acheivement and half!

Chandra Tue 26-Jul-05 21:51:44

DS had a phase like that M2M, but he was not rady, actually he is not yet ready now a year later, he can not stay sitting on the potty for more than a few seconds, though... he ahs stoped wearing the potty as a hat which is an advance

mum2mikey Tue 26-Jul-05 21:51:53

wow! 5 mths!

Chandra Tue 26-Jul-05 21:52:29

Nah... it's a lie and half!

mum2mikey Tue 26-Jul-05 21:57:06

i think like every other milestone i just want to rush it and then i regret how quick he is growing up.

Chandra Tue 26-Jul-05 22:08:04

I also have thought about that M2M. But after finding ourselves stuck in motorway traffic with a 4 years old that couldn't wait any longer to get to a toilet, I started to perceive nappies as a blessing

MMG Fri 29-Jul-05 15:24:08

at what age do you think they are ready to start? my little boy is 15mnths and i think he would not sit on a potty, i can vision him standing in it!!
he done a wee wee on the floor wile getting ready to have a bath and he pointed at the puddle on the floor!! i think i may try at 18mths

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 15:25:42

PMSL at potty training at 5mths!

tiredemma Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:16

ds2 age 2 thinks that the potty is some kind of hat, he's nowhere near ready.

cant wait though, hate forking out on nappies.

dp's mother is also one of those exagerating ones, walking and talking at a ridiculous age. I wouldnt be surprised if she convinced herself he was changing fuses in plugs at 18mths.

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 15:34:31

Potty training isn't something you can rush though, mum2mikey. He's obviously recognising when he's done a poo, which is fine, but he needs to recognise when he needs to go, which is another skill altogether! And it's best if he can dress and undress himself as well.

Don't wish it away, counting off the milestones; they grow up quickly enough as it is, without rushing them through it.

BevB Fri 29-Jul-05 22:37:40

Girls are supposedly easier to potty train than boys, my mum says I was dry during the day at 1 year and I know a girl who potty trained both her girls at 1 year and they were dry during the day within a couple of weeks! although to be fair they don't have a car so probably never have the worry of traveling distances in a car.

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 23:14:45

That's not always true, Bev, my dd was nearly 3 before she was dry in the day, nearly 4 before she would poo anywhere other than a nappy, and is still not dry at night.

Each child is different, and none of them will be "trained" before they're ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now