Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone know how to campaign your council to join nappy incentive scheme?

(15 Posts)
flowerfairy Sat 23-Jul-05 22:32:11

Just been looking for a nappy advisor or agent in my area, just out of interest really. But there are none for my area. I have tried the reall nappy campaign website are there any other sites I could try?

I just wondered if anyone knows of anyone or a way to bring the use of cloth nappies to my councils attention? My sister who llives about 5 miles away and is under a different council can benefit from the £30 incentive scheme.

Any ideas, Mnetters?

Caligula Sat 23-Jul-05 22:33:46

Get on to the Real Nappy people and ask them how you can pressure your council to join.

giraffeski Sat 23-Jul-05 22:34:45

Message withdrawn

ScummyMummy Sat 23-Jul-05 22:35:21

write to mp?

hunkermunker Sat 23-Jul-05 22:35:31

Which council? Because if it's Hillingdon, don't bother

flowerfairy Sat 23-Jul-05 22:37:22

No it's in the Midlands

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 22:38:32

The WEN (Women's Environmental Network) will be able to help you with this one. Sorry but I'm still rubbish at links. It's not through lack of trying either.

flowerfairy Sat 23-Jul-05 22:39:11

Might try using my mums address as she is in the same council as my sister. Though jsut thought I think all my receipts have my home address on.

How do I get around that

flowerfairy Sat 23-Jul-05 22:40:58

It's the summer holidays now I'll have plenty of time for writing all these letters.lol

Ds naps will have to be put to fruitful use.

giraffeski Mon 25-Jul-05 20:53:05

Message withdrawn

BadHair Mon 25-Jul-05 20:59:53

If I was doing this I would ring your sister's council (or get your sister to do it as she pays their council tax) and ask them if they have any figures for how the scheme has reduced their waste. Then, assuming it has had a significant effect, write to your council, copying your MP, to highlight this and ask if and when they will be introducing a similar scheme in your area.
Rubbish reduction is a huge thing at the moment as councils have been set targets for drastic waste reduction. My council (North Shropshire District, who are terrible) have introduced green bins and recycling boxes, much against their will but only because central govt has set them a reduction target.
Also see if you can find some sympathetic health visitors or midwives - mine are fabulous for this sort of thing and are really pushing real nappies at the moment.

flowerfairy Mon 25-Jul-05 22:59:05

OOh BH I like your thinking, in this day of statistics and data that sounds llike avery good tack to take. Thanks

Pixiefish Mon 25-Jul-05 23:36:42

This is a route I've started on fairly recently. Initially I wrote to the council and asked them what their policies were. If you want a copy of the letter pm me and i'll email it. I included lots of statistics and data and also an offer to have a meeting with them.

Whilst i was waiting for a reply I designed a website, bought the domain and hosted the site.

I had to ring the council to remind them and they said they were impressed with the site and what I was doing (sure start groups etc)

Anyway the bottom line is that they are looking at doing something and they want some help from me and the group (3 people but hey)

If you would like to see the site or the letter then pm me- I'd be more than happy to help.

I got a lot of help from Sustainable wales (I live in Wales) and Womens Environmental Network.

At the end of the day most councils are looking at waste minimisation- our local landfill site will have to close next spring as it'll have reached capacity. A lot of councils are facing landfill problems due to stricter laws regarding landfill and a new licence that will have to be in place by march 2007 (I know that our council failed to obtain the relevant licence so even if the landfill doesn't fill up by next spring they won't have a licence to operate it after march 2007.)

flowerfairy Tue 26-Jul-05 09:18:59

Yes please Pixiefish.

Sorry to sound like a technophobe, but pm you?

Pixiefish Tue 26-Jul-05 23:41:13

sorry i meant CAt- contact another talker- the button at the top. dippy moo here got mixed up with another site i use

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: