Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training commenced today,how long willit take?

(7 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Thu 21-Jul-05 19:24:09

My dd is 20 mths and has been showing signs shes ready

Dry throughout day
tells me she is pooing
wants to sit on toilet

Today I kept nappy off and left potty downstairs.She is not keen on it and kept saying poo poo and pointing upstairs.We made several journeys upstairs where she sat on loo (aided by training seat and step)and just sat there looking at me.She did not manage to poo but did two wees downstairs on the floor and told me after she had done them.

She did not want me to put her nappy on but I did in the end as she was bathed and ready for bed.

How long is it all likely to take?

Sorry in advance.All this is new to me.

fisil Thu 21-Jul-05 19:49:31

We had a few false starts like you describe. Is your dd quite good at communicating? ds1 has always been very eloquent and his understanding is very good - but his physical development lags behind. So a few times he told us he was ready and wanted to wear pants, but he just couldn't control his bladder/bowels and it ended up upsetting him. We had our first try at about 20 months. He is now 2 1/2 and has been ready for some time but realised he was onto a good thing with nappies, and we weren't in a hurry with ds2's arrival. However, on Saturday he told dp (who was changing his nappy) to hurry up and put the fresh nappy on because he had a wee wee coming. At that point I said no more nappies. And since then he's been in pants and managing very well. So just follow her lead. She sounds interested but may well not be ready yet. Don't force her, just work with her. The fact that she is interested now probably means she will be out of nappies at a good time, but it could be up to a year away!

fisil Thu 21-Jul-05 19:49:32

We had a few false starts like you describe. Is your dd quite good at communicating? ds1 has always been very eloquent and his understanding is very good - but his physical development lags behind. So a few times he told us he was ready and wanted to wear pants, but he just couldn't control his bladder/bowels and it ended up upsetting him. We had our first try at about 20 months. He is now 2 1/2 and has been ready for some time but realised he was onto a good thing with nappies, and we weren't in a hurry with ds2's arrival. However, on Saturday he told dp (who was changing his nappy) to hurry up and put the fresh nappy on because he had a wee wee coming. At that point I said no more nappies. And since then he's been in pants and managing very well. So just follow her lead. She sounds interested but may well not be ready yet. Don't force her, just work with her. The fact that she is interested now probably means she will be out of nappies at a good time, but it could be up to a year away!

MaloryTowers Thu 21-Jul-05 19:53:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Thu 21-Jul-05 20:32:30

Shes v good at communicating.Too good in fact.Shes also v mture for her age (something thats frequantly pointed out to me by her nursery,my friends and realtives.I just thought she was your average toddler but it seems she is v quick.

Thats the reason I started.But then I wonder if I am doing the right thing.I am v hesitant but thats just laziness on my partnappies are much easier than all this!!

Steppy1 Thu 21-Jul-05 21:56:13

Hi to you all. I started with my DD who was 2 in Feb (so she's jsut under 2 and a half) last Thursday...and we've cracked it I thought that she might be ready so thought we'd give it a try and she obviously was (was planning to give some full attention to the task in hand during the summer hols as seem so busy all of the time) anyway she's happy to wee on the toilet, and poo on the potty so Yippee, we're out of nappies for the first time in 4 and a half years (except night time of course !!!) DS is off to school in September (he was out of nappies much later but then I've heard that boys tend to be )Good luck to you all !

mandyc66 Thu 21-Jul-05 22:36:01

well my ds has turned 2.5 and is not interested at all. If we mention the toilet he screws up his nose and the pants we carefully chose together are banished to the back of the drawer!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now