Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

what are recyclable nappies?

(35 Posts)
ogri Thu 21-Jul-05 13:28:19

i read an article last night with little mo actress, and she says she uses recycable napppies for her daughter. i was wondering what they are and where to get them from and how much.
thanks very much

misdee Thu 21-Jul-05 13:38:00

cloth ones maybe?

fruitful Thu 21-Jul-05 13:45:44

Recyclable nappies would only be any good if you had access to somewhere that would recycle them. E.g. if you live in the right part of Ireland the council take Moltex Oko disposable nappies and put them in a huge wormery to decompose them. But if you use Moltex Oko and put them in the rubbish bin they just sit in the landfill like any other nappy.

If there are disposable nappies that are easily recyclable I'd love to know about them!

honeyflower Thu 21-Jul-05 14:52:13

Only cloth ones are recyclable, really, I think little mo was a bit confused...

Moltex Oko ones are compostable, not recyclable, but fruitful is right about the facilities to compost them being lacking - I've got a wormery in my garden, but I don't think I'd challenge it with nappies!

However Moltex are still a lot better environmentally than conventional nappies: they decompose a lot more quickly, saving room in landfill sites, and they are produced in much less toxic ways (they are partly made from recycled materials). They are very very effective as nappies too! More info on them here

dinosaur Thu 21-Jul-05 15:38:29

Are those Tushies ones not biodegradable then? And what about the "green" ones they sell in Sainsburys?

honeyflower Thu 21-Jul-05 16:23:26

AFAIK, Tushies are very similar to Moltex - but I don't use them, so didn't feel the same urge to go on about them! There is a newer sort called Bambo which look good too, and a bit cheaper.

The ones that are available in supermarkets are a bit less environmentally 'pure' - they are sort of half-way between the Moltex et al, and conventionals. But an improvement in many ways on Pampers etc, and about the same price - so no reason not to use them, really.

There is an interesting comparison of the eco-disposables here , though I think she's wrong to say that if you just have to put them in landfill, there's no benefit over ordinary disposables - there is a huge difference in terms of the environmental impact of producing them.

starlover Thu 21-Jul-05 16:32:15

they may decompose quicker... but thinkj of this... you're still piling all your baby's poo in a landfill.

and when you consider that at times this poo contains live polio vaccines (amongst other things) then it's not that nice really whatever nappy you use!

honeyflower Thu 21-Jul-05 16:39:53

Absolutely agree starlover, I'm a clothie really, but use ecodisposables occasionally (trips away etc).

I really really don't see why people make such a big deal out of using cloth nappies - for us, it maybe means a couple of extra laundry loads a week, and to me, given the gazillions of loads a household with 2 kids gets through anyway, that's not a problem.

But not everyone is going to be convinced to use cloth, and I do think that if they won't, then ecodisposables are preferable to the conventional brands.

starlover Thu 21-Jul-05 16:41:51

agree hf... we had a lady from the council to our bumps and babes group (i am the only one there already using cloth!)... and all she got from everyone was

"oh but i don;t know how to use them"
"it's too much hassle"
"i have enough washing already"

and so on... bear in mind that this very lady was offering to GIVE THEM £100 worth of nappies free! and they turned it down!

crazy!

dinosaur Thu 21-Jul-05 16:47:54

Thank you honeyflower.

We have recently started using some cloth nappies with DS3 but we are (I'm afraid) not committed enough to use them all the time (especially not DH!) so we are trying to use the greenest possible disposible nappies as well, iyswim.

I must say I do find cloth nappies quite hard work when it comes to poo (wet ones are fine to deal with.)

tarantula Thu 21-Jul-05 16:51:29

How come Im never around when these offers are going. I obviously live in the wrong place . Typical

Whadda reckon are the chances of me persuading our council to give £100 towards the cost of our nappies???

I reckon about 0

starlover Thu 21-Jul-05 16:52:34

this is in west sussex tarantula!

starlover Thu 21-Jul-05 16:53:35

we only have about 5 yrs worth of landfill left here so they're really working hard on the cloth nappy initiatives! it's fab!

fruitful Thu 21-Jul-05 17:01:03

How are cloth nappies different from disposables with regard to poo? You've still got to empty it down the loo haven't you, because its illegal to put human excrement in the rubbish.

honeyflower Thu 21-Jul-05 17:05:50

Not sure I understand what your poo problem is Dinosaur? If anything, it's less gross than for a disposable, IME.

We use disposable paper liners. Hold cloth nappy over loo, liner and poo fall in, flush. Then put it in a bucket lined with a mesh bag, drop on some tea tree oil. When the bucket's full, lift out the bag and sling it in the machine. Easy

Whereas I find the way you have to sort of waggle a disposable over the loo to get the poo off a bit yucky, frankly!

honeyflower Thu 21-Jul-05 17:06:36

Sorry - not clear - 'put it in a bucket' - 'it' is the cloth nappy

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 10:26:34

Thanks fruitful and honeyflower.

I do use the flushable liners but find that invariably the nappy is also quite stained/dirty. For some reason I had it in my head that dry pailing was better than soaking all hte nappies - so I've been hand-washing the soiled nappies and wringing them out before putting them in teh nappy bucket. Do you reckon that soaking them is better, then?

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 10:27:15

fruitful - I do "empty" disposable nappies, but I don't feel compelled to handwash them...

skeptic Fri 22-Jul-05 10:32:40

Regarding putting poo in landfills - where do you think the sludge from the sewage treatment works goes?

bobbybob Fri 22-Jul-05 10:37:28

Why didn't they take the nappies - I mean it's not like the lady from the council is going to come around to your house at night and check whether you have sneaked in a disposable.

Personally I find the biggest savings are from not using baby wipes. I spent about 3 quid on some face cloths and they have wipes hundreds of bottoms now.

Some people mix feed - I mix nappy.

honeyflower Fri 22-Jul-05 10:37:32

I just dry-pail the nappies, complete with residual stains. If it's really bad, I dangle it in the loo and flush. Maybe that makes me a disgusting slattern, but the buckets don't stink up the bathroom and the nappies come out of the washing machine clean, so I think it's OK.

I can see handwashing would be the counsel of perfection - but hey, nobody's perfect .

And it had never entered my pretty little head to wonder where the sewage sludge goes, I confess...

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 10:41:18

My brother and his partner are going to have a baby shortly. They live in Berlin. He said they are unsure about using cotton nappies as they have been told that the energy used in washing them negates any "green" benefit. I said I found that hard to believe, and that surely every nappy NOT stuck in a landfill site is an environmental gain.

Anyone else have any views?

skeptic Fri 22-Jul-05 10:45:12

The sludge goes to landfill, HF.

bobbybob Fri 22-Jul-05 11:01:27

My main motivation was that they are cheaper. I paid around NZ$150 for everything I have used so far by not using the fancy things. i have sold too small stuff on Ebay and sometime got back what I paid. $150 would only have bought me 15 packets of disposables max, so my washing machine would have to be gold plated for there not to be a cost saving.

Very often money calculations only take into account using for 1 or possibly 2 children - not selling on Ebay.

They might be green, they might not be. But I'm going on holiday with the savings so who cares!

Feffi Fri 22-Jul-05 11:03:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now