Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washing nappies problem

(13 Posts)
Tumblemum Thu 21-Jul-05 10:40:41

I am a recent convert to real nappies. I wash them at 60 on a stains cycle with wash plus and extra rinsing, but they still of wee. Is this normal? Or could it be a problem with my washing machine. I am using antibacterial powder and ecover.

Tumblemum Thu 21-Jul-05 10:41:22

Typo! meant to say that after washing they still smell of 'wee'

Hulababy Thu 21-Jul-05 10:42:04

Have you tried a drop of tea tree oil or lavender oil?

Tumblemum Thu 21-Jul-05 10:45:00

Ok will try, so is this normal for them to smell after washing?

MrsDoolittle Thu 21-Jul-05 11:02:41

I use Fairy non-bio and I find sometimes that they do smell of wee. So I would usually add white vinegar to the the wash or up the cycle temp to 90 once in a while. soda crystals are another idea and really cheap.
Also don't wash too many at a time if they are really wet.

Another thing - dry them in the sunshine. It's great for freshening them up.

hub2dee Thu 21-Jul-05 11:05:18

There was a thread ages ago discussing the merits (or otherwise) of Ecover. Might be worth a look. Some wise chemist-type MNers were dicussing whether the formulation was really all that IYSWIM. (IIRC).

Nik72 Thu 21-Jul-05 11:06:40

I started off washing mine with ecover and I'm afraid switched pretty quickly to fairy - it's crap IMO and never got them clean!!! The poo stains never came out with it either. I do try to be environmentally conscious & all that but in this instance reckoned it wasn't worth it!

cacaboo Thu 21-Jul-05 11:06:56

I've been having the same problem recently.

Some suggestions I've received are here - I hope

misdee Thu 21-Jul-05 11:06:59

do an pre-wash with just soda crystals, usual wash, then sometimes add an extra rinse if ifeel its needed.

atm am using dispoables as my dryer is on the blink, and the weather isnt all that fab atm.

Tumblemum Thu 21-Jul-05 11:14:30

I was convinced it was my washing machine and the engineer is due to visit on Saturday to sort out said machine !
Will ditch the Ecover and try tea tree and another powder and do a pre wash.

BevB Thu 21-Jul-05 11:22:06

Have you cleaned you washing machine recently? I would do a hot wash with soda crystals in the detergent draw and vinegar in the conditioner drawer see if that helps, after all you wouldn't wash dishes in a dirty sink.

Tumblemum Thu 21-Jul-05 11:23:49

Ok will try this also, where do I get soda crystals from?

BevB Fri 22-Jul-05 11:58:45

I comes in a blue 1kg bag in tescos for about 50p

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: