Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

CALLING TOTS BOTS USERS!

(22 Posts)
jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 17-Jul-05 12:54:33

How do you get them dry but stay soft?! Mine are starting to go a bit cardboard like!

MarsLady Sun 17-Jul-05 12:55:45

PMSL

Sorry honey but you are making me laugh. I'm such a lazy tart that disposables r us! lol

How's Jess?

poppy101 Sun 17-Jul-05 12:56:41

I have tried the vinegar method for conditioner, but it didn't work with mine.

I would be interested in methods too, mine are rock hard.

Only other option I use at the moment is to put a capful of comfort into the wmachine once the cycle has finished and put on a rinse cycle on the machine. I then tumble dry for a while and if it is nice pop on the line to dry. Doesn't affect baby skin but makes it soft.

This is the only way I can find works for me.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 17-Jul-05 12:58:05

she's fine hun.... been a little angel the past few days, lots of hugs and kisses and lots of laughs! Just waiting for midwife to turn up!

dispoasables are easy but jess gets such bad nappy rash, i cant bear to put her through it anymore! we have used 1 disposable in 2 weeks!!!!

Asda do the best disposables though! Just need to work out how to get my tots bots all nice and soft again!

Whats this about you not being back on line properly til august?! Not good......

MarsLady Sun 17-Jul-05 12:59:37

I know hun, but at least my children are getting cooked food again. lol

Glad Jess doing well.

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 13:25:52

I have this too. Are you in a hard water area with limescale?

No solution really. The dryer makes them soft but don't want to use dryer in this weather so I just put up with the hardness.

It softens up after they've weed in it after all.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 17-Jul-05 15:34:05

bump x

Gillian76 Sun 17-Jul-05 15:38:47

I used to put half quantity of softener in maybe once a week. The best way is of course the dryer, but I found that helped a bit too. Also give them a good shake out before hanging them on the line. A windy day helps too!

Just realised I posted the same on a towels thread recently!

lmccrean Sun 17-Jul-05 15:50:57

yikes..shouldnt use comfort--will coat the nappies and they will leak! my dds nappies are fleece so dont have the stiffness problem...try putting clean nappies through a wash or two without detergent..this should get rid of the detergent build up

lmccrean Sun 17-Jul-05 15:51:51

should note the softner thing will build up over time..not on first wash (hopefully)

Feffi Sun 17-Jul-05 16:01:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gillian76 Sun 17-Jul-05 17:13:08

Never had a problem with leaking. A little bit of softener rinsed well didn't seem to harm mine.

Yorkiegirl Sun 17-Jul-05 17:53:45

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 17-Jul-05 17:57:25

sounds like the dryer it is then! Have been putting them either out on the line or in the airing cupoard but they are kinda crunchy!

vkone Mon 18-Jul-05 08:29:52

Must admit, I do mine in the dryer once a month and then line dry for the rest - they get progressively harder then get put back in the dryer.

BevB Mon 18-Jul-05 17:50:45

I tend to tumble mine on cool ocassionally when wet with a dry one for 10 mins before hanging out and also find that rubbing them together (like hand washing) softens them too.
Don't hang out on a rainy day if you live close to any polutants as it gets in the atmosphere (and rain), I live close to an airfield so its no good for us.

maisiemog Mon 18-Jul-05 18:07:25

I'm with vkone (you have many consonants in your name )
That mini tumble does work done straight from the wash, just a quick ten minutes does the trick and then line dry or house dry whatever.
The fluffing does last for more than one wash, so you don't need to do it very often.
Also wind does help soften nappies, so feed your baby lots of beans.

vkone Mon 18-Jul-05 20:07:09

Well for that matter, so does pee. Didn't they used to tell army recruits to pee in their boots to soften them up (been listening to too much Spike Milligan!)

maisiemog Mon 18-Jul-05 20:23:21

I must admit, when ds pees in his nappy it does soften up quite a bit...and...no, I'm going to stop there...

Pollyanna Mon 18-Jul-05 20:52:09

Apparently using too much washing powder can make them hard - you could try using half (or perhaps running them through the washing machine without powder?). (this is what the lady at twinkleontheweb told me anyway).

bensmum3 Mon 18-Jul-05 21:15:49

I don't have a tumble drier, but agree with yorkiegirl, I always hang my nappies out on the line, even when it's raining, as the rain seems to make them softer.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 19-Jul-05 15:24:17

yup - less washing powder or liquid (which seems to rinse better)

You can only get them really fluffy if you use the dryer for 15 mins or so, but i don't bother. ds doesn't seem to mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now