Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Has anyone used Eco-balls for washing nappies?

(10 Posts)
jay01 Fri 15-Jul-05 09:42:19

I've read that Eco-balls are very effective and economical. Has anyone had any experience of using them with washing nappies. I like the idea of them, but as they cost quite a bit I don't want to buy them if they are no good.

alux Fri 15-Jul-05 10:01:22

i'm using them to wash a poo-ey muslin nappy at the moment. it is set at '60 degrees stains' no pretreatment but was soaked (after the poo dried ) will let you know how it turns out.

I have been doing all our household laundry for three with eco-balls for about 5 months and pleased with the results. I think they will save money in the long run even if you find you have to do pretreat difficult stains or wash them out conventionally.

misdee Fri 15-Jul-05 10:10:49

i wi,l be using them next week as have just used the last of washing powder. as long as washing machie is set to 60degrees or above then they will be clean, but some stains may not shift.

jay01 Fri 15-Jul-05 10:16:28

Thanks for the replies. I'll be interested to hear how you got on with your nappy.

alux Fri 15-Jul-05 13:32:12

the muslin nappy came out with stains unfortunately. I think it was made worse by me leaving it to dry on by over 24 hrs before soaking it. The 100% cotton babygro which also had a large poo stain(bf poo) and was also left to dry with the nappy came out clean though. In fact, there was a bleached stain on it where I think the poo reacted with the fabric and took some of the colour out when it got washed.

Muslins stain easily and stain badly so I am not surprised it didn't wash out to be honest. I use eco-balls for all of dd's and our clothes and will keep using it. Just need to make sure the poos don't dry on before they are washed.

alux Fri 15-Jul-05 13:33:37

PS I like the smell of the laundry from the ecoballs too. no fabric softener used but they are also quite soft. A friend washed 2 pieces of dd's clothes and used fabric softener a couple weeks ago and I find the smell really heavy now.

misdee Fri 15-Jul-05 13:47:16

alux hand the muslin nappy out in strong sunlight, that'll shift most of the stains.

alux Fri 15-Jul-05 16:36:48

i am amazed. just brought in that pooey stained nappy and the sunlight did bleach it beautifully. It is back to perfect. Now I won't be so worried about putting on my little muslins on dd's bum.

lyra41 Tue 19-Jul-05 21:18:09

where's the best place to buy eco balls?

jay01 Tue 19-Jul-05 21:42:33

Thank you alux on your update. I think I am going to give them a go when my washing powder runs out.

lyra41 - I'm thinking of getting mine from www.ecozone.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now