Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

apologies to the mighty fish if this is a bit baby pasta-esque but how do you get them dry at night?

(18 Posts)
katierocket Fri 15-Jul-05 09:33:56

DS - 4 in Oct, still in nappies at night which are wet in the morning. Do we just leave it until he's dry in the morning then try? or do we 'force' the issue? and if so, any tips

Twiglett Fri 15-Jul-05 09:38:41

don't worry about it .. that would be my take .. there will probably come a time when either he is dry at night a few nights on the run or he says he doesn't want to wear night-time nappies .. I'd wait for that

I was quite happy to let DS stay in nappies till he was 6 or 7 but just before he turned 4 (a month I think) he suddenly said no more nappies .. few accidents over the next few months and now he's dry

katierocket Fri 15-Jul-05 09:41:04

he did have a period a few months ago when he said he didn't want to wear nappies but he obviously wasn't ready as he had about 3 accidents a night. He decided he wanted to start wearing them again and I think maybe that has put him off trying again.

PandaBear Fri 15-Jul-05 09:42:07

I'm with Twiglett, I was guided by DD1. She started waking up at night when she needed the loo, then the nappies went!! Couldn't be doing with changing sheets in the middle of the night.

bakedpotato Fri 15-Jul-05 10:09:02

Katie, we have just got DD (4 in Nov, dry by day for year and half) out of night nappies. This wasn't initiated by her at all, though she seemed vaguely interested when we talked about it. (She was never dry in the morning though we lifted her at our bedtime.)

One night, we gritted teeth and took the plunge: fine. We had a few accidents that first week, then one night when she wet bed twice and got anxious about it. At her suggestion, we put her back in night nappies for the following night, then tried again. That was 10 nights ago, and it has been fine -- no accidents at all.

I suspect she has been ready for ages, but just preferred wetting nappy and lolling luxuriously in bed than actually getting out and using potty.

Tips: nightlight in room so child can see potty, layers of sheets and disposable matress pads so you can whip off one layer and have it all ready underneath, masses of praise in the morning, no fuss if he does wet.

WideWebWitch Fri 15-Jul-05 10:12:44

Kr, if I'd have waited for ds to have dry nappies in the morning which is what a lot of books seem to say then we'd have never done it. I can't remember when we did it but after 4 iirc and then we talked about it and agreed to give it a go and I lifted him for a wee at 10pm for a while and limited drinks before bed time and he just got it, can't remember how long it took but not long. So I wouldn't worry, does he say he's ready? I think it's the same as for day time training, th elonger you leave it the faster they get it once you try.

katierocket Fri 15-Jul-05 10:28:13

I think he does want to but is worried that he'll wet the bed and also i suspect there is some of what bakedpot suggests: it's nicer to lie in bed than to get out!

He's also never been a great sleeper so I think I'm also a bit concerned that the whole thing will disrupt his sleep i.e. if he gets up for a wee then decides he doesn't want to go back to bed.

bakedpotato Fri 15-Jul-05 11:16:47

KR, we did go through a period of having far more early-morning visitations since she has been getting up to use the potty. However, after a few incidents when she arrived in our room full of vim at 5-6am, and I looked appalled and said, 'It's still nighttime!' and made her go back to bed, she has finally got the idea that the day doesn't start until we get up. I now sometimes sense her pottering around and using the loo and popping her head into our room to see if we're up yet, and then heading back to bed.
It really has been fairly painless. I'm surprised.

Caligula Fri 15-Jul-05 11:19:36

Well my DS is 6 and still in nappies. Occasionally I take him out of them for a week or so and then the laundry gets to me and I can't stand it any more so I put him back in them. He did have a few months where he was dry at night, but that was about a year ago and since then he's consistently wet his nappies. So let me know if you discover the secret!

dinosaur Fri 15-Jul-05 11:21:41

I completely forgot to put DS2's nappy on one night - hey presto he was dry in the morning. So we never put a nappy on him again. That was when he was 3.5. He had a few accidents in the first few weeks but hasn't had one for months now.

bloss Fri 15-Jul-05 11:39:47

Message withdrawn

Nightynight Fri 15-Jul-05 11:58:38

he he katierocket, in our house we are just resigned...dd1 has stopped but she is now 8. theyve all got their own age to grow out of it, I tell myself.

Enid Fri 15-Jul-05 12:05:04

lol 'baby pasta-esque'

snort

surely it could just be pastaesque though?

soapbox Fri 15-Jul-05 12:51:28

Like WWW - if we'd waited for DS to be dry in teh morning I don't think we would ever have cracked it

I think you just have to accept that for a couple of weeks wet beds will be the norm. After that we had a couple of wet beds a week, then one a month and now for teh last few months no 'accidents' at all!

We also used a bit of bribery

Small coin for every dry night at teh beginning, then after a couple of weeks we started a star chart, with a boat sticker for the wet nights and a star sticker for the dry ones. When he got 7 stars in a row he got a big present (£10 ish lego set) then when he got 14 in a row a similar sized present. After that no bribery was needed!!

I know some people hate bribery but it just helped him really want to do it!

Also to save being awake for longer than necessary during the night, we put a waterproof pad over the top of a waterprrof sheet, so that the pad was just whisked off in the middle of the night and then the sheet (shich has a terry towelling finish) was already on teh bed in case he wet again. Swift change of pjs and the whole thing was over and doen with in 2mins.

Also we did lift him each night at the beginning, but probably only did this for 6 weeks or so after which he was able to go all night without needing to go. Again there are mixed views on this!

If you want our waterprrof pad and sheet let me know as we really don't need it any more. Don't want anything for it, but would be pleased if you could pass it on to someone else on here after you're finished with it, if thats ok! You need them for such a short while that it would be nice to save people that cost!

katierocket Fri 15-Jul-05 12:54:22

possibly enid but it just looked wrong.

That would be great soapbox, I'll take you up on that offer, will CAT you.

soapbox Fri 15-Jul-05 12:57:06

I'm at my sisters for the weekend so might not be able to pick up my emails. I'll get back to you on Monday though

QueenOfQuotes Fri 15-Jul-05 13:05:05

About 1 1/2 months ago DS1 announced he didn't want to wear nappies at night any more as he was a "big boy" because he was going to "big boy school in September" (he'll turn 5 mid September)

We duly ditched the nappies (despite the fact they were still SOAKING in the morning).

First 2 nights were wet - then we had 4 dry nights in a row (with us wakking him up about 2hrs after he went to bed for another wee)..........however since then we've not had a single drynight. We've suggested putting him back in nappies but he gets hysterical if we suggest it............I'm into the 'cycle' of washing everyday now, so we're just going to bear with it and hope it finallyclicks.

It "helps" in some ways that he doesn't wake up in the night and tell us he's wet - so there's only ever 1 wet set of sheets each day

fishfinger Fri 15-Jul-05 13:06:49

lool
gdo you wait till august Ill bore you all with potty training then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now