Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

nature boy / girl nappies - are they compostible?

(4 Posts)
lyra41 Mon 11-Jul-05 09:10:06

Anyone have experience with these disposible nappies. Can you compost them in the garden, or are they just made with more eco friendly components and still cause the landfill problems of all disposibles?

KMS Mon 11-Jul-05 20:37:01

These only have 50% less sodium polyacrilate gel than normal disposables. (the gel associated with TSS when it was used in tampons!) I belive the outer is cornstarch but they are definatly not compostible. So yes still same landfill problem.
Only compostable nappies are Weenee pads and I think moltex can be? You shouldn't compost pooey nappies though. Weenee pads can be flushed but moltex would have to be landfilled as per normal dspos.

HTH

Mojomummy Fri 22-Jul-05 23:25:28

Oh, I've put nature babies in my compost bin. I think that all that was left was the sticky tabs. I think it says 70% biodegradable on the packet too ?

Oliviab Thu 28-Jul-05 15:55:54

If they were compostable I'm should they would say so on the packet - it would be too great a selling point to ignore. Moltex too - the packaging is degradable but not the nappies.
Weenee pads (from here ) don't have fixings (they just go in a wrap) so they are fully compostable and flushable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now