Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Soaking Wet This Morning - Help

(70 Posts)
Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 09:46:37

OK am trying to slowly convert to washables and after reading tons of archived posts bought a couple of tots for dd 15mth to wear at night. First night was last night, she woke up twice in the night and when I got her up this morning she was soaked through there wasn't a bit of her tots that wasn't wet. I had white tot, tot booster, fleece liner and a fleece wrap. The wrap appeared to be dry but she was soaking.
Some of you put 2 tots on, she is in size 2 now, if I put a size 3 over the top what size wrap should I get as the one we are using wouldn't go over 2 tots and is the Meos the best night wrap?

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 09:48:19

try a normal wrap
suggest ME airflow

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 09:48:55

also
have you prewashef the nappy three times?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 09:49:02

ive found size 2 tots, fleece liner, large ME wrap workes fine. The nappy is soaked but never leaks out the wrap, but because of the fleece liner, bum stays dry. Jess can wear hers for 12-13 hours overnight. Im a bit wary of fleece wraps tbh.

spidermama Fri 08-Jul-05 09:55:31

You need a good snug fitting wrap. I too am wary of fleece wraps, certainly at night time. You need to make sure that wraps are washed and dried carefully because the rubber can very easily perish. I never buy second hand wraps for that reason. Once the rubber's gone, they're no longer waterproof.

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 10:02:21

the nappy will be wet... that's what they're for!

try using a fleece liner... it will wick the moisture away from the surface and keep baby's bum dry!

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 10:02:47

or, try a wee notions, minki or fuzzi bunz for nighttime

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 10:03:51

i made some huge fleece liners - basically traced around nappy so the fleece covers ds2 whole bottom

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 10:04:47

stuffies are excellent nigyht nappies

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:05:29

Honey, I think you'll be surprised that the nappies do get wet, you will see it That is the difference between 'real' nappies and disposable.
I use bumbles overnight in dd and they are alway soaking in the morning!! It never worries me. The wet is contained inside a very effective wrap.
I would only consider it a problem if you found her bottom to be wet inside the fleece. It should be lovely and dry, even though the nappy is soaking!
The bumbles has a complete fleece liner and I think it's fab. Make sure you have a big, wide liner.
I wouldn't worry too much Chuffed, it'll take you a little while to get used to it. And you will find that after a few washes and that is, quite a few it will becoem more absorbant!

Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 10:11:46

her bum and stomach were sticky, she just seemed soaked, even the aplix bits were almost wringable. The fleece liner was traced around the booster so covered a good portion of the nappy.
The thing that worried me most was that she had a bad night's sleep and I wonder if it was due to her feeling 'wet'.
If I get a ME Airflow what size would go over a size 2 and 3 tots. I will perservere

Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 10:12:39

I did do the 3 wash thing beforehand.

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 10:14:08

you should hae to use 2 nappies

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 10:14:15

Ive got a LARGE ME wrap that goes nicely over jess's size 2 tots bots on the tightest poppers

Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 10:22:03

I know I shouldn't have to use two but quite a few people with heavy wetters do and maybe dd is a 'heavy wetter' at night

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:23:23

I'd get the popper ME wrap Chuffed. Dd has most recently developed that habit of pulling the velcro apart.
Unfortunately I think that maybe you would have done better with an unbleached totsbots. I really doubt you'll need a size 3 tots. What's more I still think that your totsbots won't be really absorbant until you have used them a few times! I never found pre-washing them made much of a difference.
I'm confident you'll get it sorted though Chuffed.

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 10:23:50

i would try a fleece topped microterry booster first

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:24:26

I also doubt you'll need two nappies.

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:25:48

Loads of good advice here Chuffed. Don't worry, we'll make sure you don't go back to nasty horrid disposables!!

Laura032004 Fri 08-Jul-05 10:26:17

Unless your dd's clothes are wet, you shouldn't need two nappies. Also, with a fleece wrap, if your dd doesn't move much in the night, her clothes might get a bit damp, so try a ME Airflow wrap before you try double nappies.

The nappies are virtually wringable. After a while you just don't notice it - that's what cloth nappies are like. It doesn't seem to affect ds's skin in any way, and we don't use fleece topped boosters, but flannalette ones.

Don't buy a Tots wrap if you do get a 'rubber' wrap. They do wick because of their design, and so if your dd is quite a heavy wetter, her clothes will get wet. Not a problem with a ME.

If you want to try further boosting the nappy, you could buy some hemp boosters, or even a super soaker cloth - these can always go outside the nappy between nappy and wrap if space is an issue. The nappy lady website sells these.

HTH

Laura032004 Fri 08-Jul-05 10:28:43

I'm not sure about wetness possibly disturbing her sleep - ds has been in cloth from a v.early age, so it wasn't an issue for us. Could you try using them in the day to get used to them? It's a change, and like everything, may take her a while to get used to.

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:28:55

What do you want to do tonight Chuffed?

Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 10:34:20

maybe I can get some of those microfibre cloths and put them in too, will get a ME wrap. I also have the 'natural tots' I got one of each. I suppose I just didn't expect the wet to be the 'whole' nappy.

popsycal Fri 08-Jul-05 10:36:20

try a tots with the booster and fleece liner with a ME airflow wrap
kittykins are good - next day delivery and fre postage

another option is a stuffie nappies.....full fleece panel so very dry and you can add as much stuffing as you like

MrsDoolittle Fri 08-Jul-05 10:41:13

That's why I like using the bumbles at night popsycal. They are always soaking wet in the morning but the fleece keeps dd nice and dry.

I still think that you'll be fine with what you have Chuffed. Try the unbleached tonight and if you have a booster you will be okay. I think you just need to get over the shock of finding discovering that fact that the nappies actually do get wet The important thing is that your dd's bottom is dry and it will be after your nappies have been 'round' a few times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: