Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is it worth introducing a potty to nearly 17 month old

(12 Posts)
Em32 Thu 07-Jul-05 21:44:14

My son has started to pee immediately after you remove his nappy - in fact will stand there with a big grin on his face and pee all over the carpet. This is particularly before his bath time but at other times as well now. He is definitely not ready for full on potty training but is it worth seeing how he gets on with a potty and introducing it gently? Or would this be a waste of time? Thanks

singyswife Thu 07-Jul-05 21:50:45

Not at all, introdeuce it now. I did this with DD1 and she was fully toilet trained by 23 months. If they see the potty and you explain every time he has an accident then he will get the message really quickly. The potty was always lying around for DD2 and she was trained at 25 months.

vicdubya Thu 07-Jul-05 21:58:23

Em32 I have the same situation with ds, my bathroom carpet smells awful!

I did buy a potty but then I wondered about getting him to sit down, the thing about weeing he likes is running into a space and watching the wee come out...he thinks he's soooo clever!!!

Yesterday he ran behind me and did it all up my back.

I did read somewhere if they start off weeing into the potty standing up it is harder to get them to sit on it to poo, so I haven;t really tried anything yet.

flowerfairy Thu 07-Jul-05 23:15:03

Am reading this with interest as my ds often does this at 15 months, before or after bathtime. My mum suggested buying a potty to see if he would produce anything, with lots of praise if he does.

Though is 15 months too young or will he be more open to it. I read on another thread about there being an ideal opportunity from 16-21 months. But I'm no expert with only ds.

Blossomhill Thu 07-Jul-05 23:17:24

YOu could try but in my honest opinion most children although mentally ready, are not physically ready to potty train. You tend to have far more accidents and takes longer before 2. Both of my children were trained around 2 and a half and were very ready and had very little accidents.

handlemecarefully Thu 07-Jul-05 23:21:48

There is no harm in trying, but I'll wager that you'll have little success at this stage.....

Socci Thu 07-Jul-05 23:24:20

Message withdrawn

jabberwocky Fri 08-Jul-05 05:21:04

Actually I got a potty for ds at about this age. We started off just talking about it, and then we would go in and he would sit on it with his clothes on and we would read a book. Then when I would go, I would say, "Mommy's sitting on her potty, would you like to sit on yours?" (Sorry if TMI ) and he would. Now we are to the point where, when I am changing his diaper I will ask him if he needs to pee in the potty. Most times he says yes and we go in and he does! So, I would say it is working out pretty well. Maybe I'm taking the agonizing slow approach to potty training, but - so far, so good.

lemonice Fri 08-Jul-05 07:06:51

Just give it a go ...dd2 was out of nappies at 15 months in the day and very shortly after at night too. Her big sister is 16 months older and was using a potty and she just joined in and was dry first...

Flamesparrow Fri 08-Jul-05 08:14:59

I started with DD about that age too.

xxx

basketcase Fri 08-Jul-05 08:30:50

Give it a shot if you want to but be prepared to put it on hold until he shows signs that he is aware of the sensations of needing to pee and is able to communicate that to you - otherwise you will have loads and loads of accidents to clean up. Do you use pull ups? I found these invaluable at the in between phase.

Em32 Fri 08-Jul-05 08:57:30

Right I'm off to buy one then! I'm not expecting him to suddenly become potty trained so am not going to push him at all but would quite like to see if I can gently encourage him. He is showing an interest in me going to the loo as well so anyway, I'll let you know if I have any success. If I don't I'll just put it away again. I'm going to have no2 in a couple of months so can't concentrate hard on this at the moment anyway! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now