Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

about to order tots bots

(28 Posts)
myermay Thu 30-Jun-05 20:52:23

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Thu 30-Jun-05 20:53:55

Right...

Tots bots nappy
Fleece liner
Motherease airflow wrap

when poo - poo down toilet (or as i do, in a nappy sack in the wheelie bin) chick in nappy bucket

When wet - chuck in nappy bucket

wash

dry

re-use

misdee Thu 30-Jun-05 20:55:01

hark at you giving advice on tots

jessicasmummy Thu 30-Jun-05 20:55:13

all thanks to you!

starlover Thu 30-Jun-05 20:56:37

ok you will need your nappies, liners can either be disopsable or fleece. and you will need some outer waterproof wraps.

you can store the dirty nappies in a big nappy bucket, or a big waterproof bag. you don't have to soak, you can put them in as they are and just add some tea tree oil to combat smell!

for dirty nappies just tip the solids into toilet and rinse them.

I would recommend using fleece liners, simply because the moisture will wick away leaving a pretty much dry surface next to baby's bottom.
some people prefer paper ones though because you just chuck the whole lot down the loo!

you can put nappies in with your ordinary washing, but remember they may need washing on a higher temperature, and you musn't use fabric softener.

Magscat Thu 30-Jun-05 20:57:02

I keep nappies in a bucket with a lid & a handle. I soak (with Ecover bleach) but you don't have to - I just find you can wash on a shorter cycle if soaked.
I put the pooey liner down the toilet & also sometimes hold onto the cover or nappy while the flush is going if there is loads of poo on them -i.e. to get the poo down the loo not in the washing machine.

As for washing with other items - depends what the other items are. I would ocassionally wash with socks/trousers type things but not with pants/hankies/face towels - taht sort of thing. Usually there's enough nappies to fill the machine so I just do them on their own.

Hope that helps

myermay Thu 30-Jun-05 20:58:21

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Thu 30-Jun-05 20:58:44

babykind.com

ordered mine today actually!

starlover Thu 30-Jun-05 20:59:43

good websites are
www.kittykins.co.uk
www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk
www.babykind.co.uk

you will probably find you need at least 16 nappies and about 4 wraps
liners depends on if you use fleece or paper. if fleece get the same amount as the nappies!

myermay Thu 30-Jun-05 21:01:37

Message withdrawn

spidermama Thu 30-Jun-05 21:03:10

I don't soak but just leave in a bucket. I use nothing. Itf you want to use something Vinegar is cheap and a good disinfectant. I wash wet nappies along with ordinary wash and do a pecial 'minging whites' wash for the pooy ones (but usually only on 60. Be careful with wraps (over pants) which have rubber on. Air dry them, wash them on 60 at most, don't put them in dryer or on radiator or the rubber is compromised and lets wet through. This is annoying as they are expensive. I only change pants if they are pooey.

Magscat Thu 30-Jun-05 21:03:33

Mine have both been heavy wetters - I use 18 nappies & 6 wraps. You can always get more though if you need them later.

Try ebay too (for new or 2nd hand)& if you know of any NCT Nearly New Sales in your area they are worth a try as well. (You can email them via website & ask if there's any sales near you soon)

spidermama Thu 30-Jun-05 21:04:15

Ebay's good for nappies but beware of buying second hand wraps. See my last posting.

Magscat Thu 30-Jun-05 21:05:19

I pre-soak as mentioned with Ecover bleach or if I run out then Tea Tree oil. Yes cold is ok but if there's a really pooey one I put hot water in. Yes, just bung em in the wash either when bucket full or when run out of clean ones.

hana Thu 30-Jun-05 21:07:18

yes myermay - I used to soak them - in a net bag inside a nappy pail with the teatree oil. when ready for washing I put the net bag inside washing machine
didn't like that much - lots of liquid splashing about and making a mess generally

i think it's a lot easier to drypail. if it's a really bad nappy ( ie pooey) I'll give it a good soak on it's own then add it to the bucket
good luck with your nappies!

myermay Thu 30-Jun-05 21:14:22

Message withdrawn

hana Thu 30-Jun-05 21:17:42

that's the idea - when they are small er you fold the top bit down and put it up when they are bigger ( the children I mean) there are lots and lots of poppers to make a snug fit
I have a few motherease ones , not my faves to use though - dd2 is small and they seem quite bulky on her
maybe motherease a good choice as they would fit both of your children and you'd just have to get different sized wraps?

leahbump Thu 30-Jun-05 21:23:06

myermay- I used motherease from about 11 weeks and they were bulky at first. Still using them now (ds 16 months) with boosters but using tots through the night as motherease don't do that well.

I think one size are ok- we used msulins instead for the first 11 weeks with me wraps and they were then used for all sorts after that. Tots are more expensive in the longterm (you need at least 2 sizes) but better fit for small bubs and later toddler (unless your toddler is huge) but they do always have a big padded bum look (cute) that isn't easy to find trousers to fit over (we just go up a size or use joggers).

Hth

I am an agent for babykind btw and i think they r great!! Glad to see them on the competitions page for real nappy week!!

leahbump Thu 30-Jun-05 21:25:52

bimbles and bumbles are also very popular at the mo....and some people use a bumble as a one size nappy (birth to potty) by folding the front down at first.....bumbles can also be paddede according to requirements and kept thinnner and changed more often for a less 'big bum' look!

(you can also use tots size 3 as a onesize but think the bumbles last to a larger toddler_

leahbump Thu 30-Jun-05 21:26:33

doh...tots size 2 that should say...as a onesize...grrrr pregnancy brain.

tassis Thu 30-Jun-05 22:00:12

jessicasmummy - just a quick question - why don't you put the poo down the loo?

popsycal Thu 30-Jun-05 22:20:10

kissis and sandys

and motherease airflow wraps - took me ages to find one that didnt leak!

sandys are great newborn nappies

popsycal Thu 30-Jun-05 22:20:54

tots size 2 as one size.....
very very very bulky even on my 16lbs 4 month old ds2

misdee Thu 30-Jun-05 22:38:02

i use size two pastals/brights as one size as they arent as thick as the white/unbleached.

misdee Thu 30-Jun-05 22:44:38

just flush the poo JM. go on !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now