Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nighttime training - HELP!!!!

(7 Posts)
QueenOfQuotes Tue 28-Jun-05 09:24:13

OK we started DS about 3 weeks ago trying to get nights dry. The first week (as to be expected) was more wet nights than dry. Then last week was fantastic, we lifted him around 11.30 each night - and he had 4 dry nights in a row - last dry one being on Wednesday night.

However, since then it's all gone pear shaped again, every night since last Thursday he's been wet in the morning, and some nights he's already wee-ed by the time we go to lift him (well actually we wake him up - he's too big to lift - and he wakes up anyhow).

HELP! - what's going wrong? Is this the 'regression' that people talk about - and if so how long should I expect it to last???? We've had more wet nights in the last week than we did in the 1st week of training!

stitch Tue 28-Jun-05 09:34:54

leave it. stick him in a pull up, and let both him and you get a decent nights sleep.
my ds1 was 5 and a half before he was dry at night. and the health professionals all said that was withn the normal range.
relax

elliott Tue 28-Jun-05 09:37:23

probably can't help much but I tried ds1 out of night nappies a few weeks ago and gave up after 2 weeks. Before we started he'd had a run of more than a week of dry nappies, but after we started we found that he was only getting the odd dry night. So basically I decided he wasn't ready and went back to pullups - think we've only had one or two dry nights. he only occasionally goes the whole night without a wee and I wasn't keen to start lifting on a nightly basis as I want him to learn to do it himself. I'll wait until we have another good run of dry nappies to try again, I think.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 28-Jun-05 09:38:56

WE tried last September - and he REALLY wasn't ready.

The thing is he KNOWS he's had 4 dry nights, and only has one left to get his jar of jam (yes I know ) and 6 left for McDonalds (yes I know even bigger ).

I suggested putting him back in a nappy yesterday and he literally went hysterical - took me about 1/2hr to calm him down, and that was only by promising not to make him wear one at night.

He wants to wear pants in bed, and quite honestly he doesn't fit the nappies anymore (Tesco pullups don't go to "Extra Large") and Pampers/Huggies just leak with him - so we end up back to square one.

" and let both him and you get a decent nights sleep. "

We do both get a good sleep - he's quite happy to be lifted, and even if he's wet he'd happily sleep the whole night in a wet bed, and I lift him HOURS before I go to bed - so it doesn't affect my sleep either/.

elliott Tue 28-Jun-05 09:52:07

well you only have two choices really - give up or carry on I don't think there is anything more you can do to encourage him. Although now I think about it, someone recently posted advice they had had for a 6 year old from a clinic (I think it might have been roisin but might be completely wrong there) so you could try searching the archives for that. It included pushing fluids during the day to encourage bladder control, and avoiding juice in the later part of the day, I think.
But mainly I think its determined partly by physical capacity of the bladder (and the hormone that concentrates the wee) and partly by whether they wake up in response to a full bladder.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 28-Jun-05 10:14:22

"well you only have two choices really - give up or carry on"

thanks for that

RoseBerry Tue 28-Jun-05 11:06:35

Does anyone know where you can get the alarm sheets? The kind that emit a horrible alarm sound when they are wet so as to wake the kid up? I have a feeling I will be needing something along those lines for my daughter. Usually about a week's worth of use does the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now