Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Are liners worth in newborns?

(15 Posts)
Lua Mon 27-Jun-05 10:34:24

Morning all!
I attempting to go full time in cloth nappies with 4 week old DS. My main concern right now is the very liquid poo of newborns....
I have some fleece liners, but was thinking that was useless at this point... since it will get soaked, and won't hold any solids to chuck, IYSWIM.
Would disposable liners work better? If so,which do you recommend?

Thanks!

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:35:48

i used fleece liners with ds as i found that paper ones gave him nappy rash.

the good thing about using fleece is that it wicks the moisture away and leaves baby's bottom drier than if you use nothing at all..

so would go for fleece, not for containment purposes, but just for a drier bum!

Gem13 Mon 27-Jun-05 10:43:49

I didn't bother using liners while DD was being breastfed. Found the poo pretty inoffensive and sluiced it off the nappy into the loo.

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 10:57:52

I've been using fleece as well with my baby
was using the flushable liners but everything soaked thru and with the fleece like starlover says - keeps babys bum drier. And you can use them over and over. Fleece shouldn't stain as well!

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:59:12

what nappies are you using? if you have fuzzi bunz or minki or anything else with a fleece layer on the inside then don't bother with liners

hana Mon 27-Jun-05 11:01:37

starlover - congrats on the prize.... very jealous!! enjoy -what are you going to buy? ( was it the voucher you won?)

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 11:03:03

thanks hana... no it was the motherease starter kit! very of merglemergle who got the fuzzi bunz prize!
but we do use motherease too, and it's something he can use when he's bigger too!

Lua Mon 27-Jun-05 11:17:25

SL, I am using a no brand name cotton nappy (leftover from my first..). They work very well, but they do stain easily! Which is why I wanted ti try a liner. Also I dry pail the nappies and thought I could reduce smells, and mess by getting rid of most of the poo... But it looks it won't work for awhile...

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 11:18:54

i find the b/f poo does soak through a liner and stain the nappy anyway.
i used to use ecover which is crap at removing stains, now use fairy non-bio... i only use half the amount and no stains at all! it's fab.
also if you have a washing line then hang them out in the sun and it'll bleach stains out!

Lua Mon 27-Jun-05 11:21:22

Thanks SL--and congrats in the prize!!!

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 11:26:02

thanks lua... and well done for choosing cloth! let us know how you get on!

chipmonkey Mon 27-Jun-05 11:32:25

Congrats on prize, starlover. Am very

merglemergle Mon 27-Jun-05 12:23:46

Paper ones gave ds really really bad nappy rash. We liked the fleece a lot. You can actually buy fleece from a fabric shop and cut it to the size of the nappy, which will increase containment. Plus it is way way cheaper.

I like the look of the hemp liners, and might give them a go...

The only thing to watch out for with fleece is that it raises the temperature inside the nappy, plus is synthetic, so watch out for thrush etc.

Re stains-we STILL have stained nappies from bfing period! The only thing that has helped is Ecover bio-apparently this is a particularly strong and harsh bio washing powder! (we do about 200 rinses afterwards). Some people say sunlight but that turns the nappy into a brick.

Starlover-I'd never even heard of fuzzi bunz (big motherease fan here), so I've got really no idea what I've won here. Pretty excited! It is really good for us though as my ds has just grown out of his motherease (not sure how he has managed this, he is pretty small and thin, but he hates having anything tight on his bottom), and we are due another baby at some point now (who will get the clothing-great as she is 2nd baby in 2 yrs, and presents have less plentiful ). Congratulations on your Motherease set, as well, it does look great and you know you're getting something you'll use and like anyway.

Lua Mon 27-Jun-05 12:29:04

Thanks Mergle! and congrats to you too!
The sun option sounds great--but giving that I am in Manchester is a bit of a rare occasion...
I have been using mostly sure care, but will have to try some other soaps it looks like...

eldestgirl Mon 27-Jun-05 12:39:40

Lua,
I used cut down fleece liner with a newborn and discovered that with bf poo, you can chuck the whole lot in the washing machine with a rinse prewash, and you don't need to flush rinse the poo off. Made my day anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now