Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty Training BOYS

(6 Posts)
Fifi1976 Fri 24-Jun-05 11:43:44

Hi

My ds is 2yrs 3 months and at the moment I am trying very casually to potty train. He always tells me when he's done a poo and some people said he may be ready. I don't think he's quite ready yet as he refuses to sit on the potty - thinks it makes a good hat instead

Anyway, just so that I'm prepared for when I do start, can you please give me some advice.

Should he sit on it when he goes for a wee or should he start standing and 'aiming' right from the start. If you sit them on the potty, how easy is it to get them from sitting to standing when using the toilet?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

pinkmama Fri 24-Jun-05 11:47:16

Hi, my ds was very late, has only just started at 3 years 4 months. He used the potty at first, but then when the weather got better he became fanatical about weeing in the garden and really got into standing up and doing it, now he will stand up at the toilet and he seemed to make that switch himself. He liked the potty to start with because we couuld all have a look in at what he had done and he then very proudly helped flush it down the toilet. He flatly refuses to poo in anyting other than a nappy though.

Good luck!

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 12:05:31

My DS1 and 2 both started off sitting down on the potty but both in their own time graduated to standing up doing it in the toilet.

I would advise, unless you want to spend all your time wiping up wee, that you get him to sit down on teh potty to begin with! DS1 is nearly six now and his aim still isn't very good...

Gobbledigook Fri 24-Jun-05 12:08:02

I potty trained ds1 at 2 yrs 9 months and at that point it was a doddle as he was more than ready. He cracked it in 3 days - so my advice would be not to hurry it because it could be easier and quicker later on.

They def start off sitting down for a wee. Just let him do this for as long as he wants - he'll graduate to standing up in his own time. I think ds1 swapped when he saw other boys at nursery standing up.

Ds2 is 2 yr 7m now and I'm going to potty train him in August during the holidays.

tiffini Fri 24-Jun-05 12:15:41

My DS never used the potty, as he was a very late starter, so we went straight to the toilet.

I taught him to sit for a wee first, then once he was fully trained i taught him to stand for a wee.

I found immediately that he preffered to stand, i think because it takes less time.

Fifi1976 Fri 24-Jun-05 12:22:39

Thanks everyone. I think I'll leave it for now as he's def not ready yet! All his friends are girls and are slightly younger than him and due to seeing they are pretty much 'dry' now, I thought I should try. I reckon boys are later starters than girls?!

I'm a new childminder and will be potty training a little girl soon so IF he shows interest because she is, I'll give it a try otherwise, I'll wait until HE is ready!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now