Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DH keeps having a go at me about potty training....

(3 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 21-Jun-05 10:46:47

DD is 2.9 and she has never done a wee or a poo in a potty. Nursery want her potty training by the time she goes up to the next group aged 3

She has suffered from constipation for ages, is ok when on lactulose (is seeing Paed at the end of this month). She seems totally disinterested in her potty or the loo with soft seat - we talk about it a lot and I try and get her to sit on the potty but she is just not having it.

DH reckons that

(a) it is a developmental milestone and she should have been potty trained by 2.5

(b) I am too soft on her and "baby" her and that we should be tougher and force it on her

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I was sure that it is not a dev. milestone. And that you should wait until they are ready or risk putting them off it altogether.

Can anyone confirm?

bossykate Tue 21-Jun-05 10:50:49

no it is not a development milestone and yes you should wait until they show signs of readiness - have a look at this

Bagpuss30 Tue 21-Jun-05 11:02:52

Oh, CD we have just been through the same thing with dd (2 yrs 10 m). She has only really been dry in the day for a month now. I had almost given up hope and had the added pressure of nursery and a new baby round the corner. In the end I just chilled out completely, put dd into pull ups and let her carry on as normal. Before we knew it she had started to keep herself dry and asked for the toilet (not the potty, I think it was too little for her) and we really haven't looked back since. Compared to my ds the experience has been a totally different one. He trained at 2 yrs 7 months and got it all within a week and was really quite easy. All children are different and train when they are ready. I certainly think my earlier attempts with dd only put her off the whole thing for a while, so yes you are right . HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now