Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy Changing Station

(47 Posts)
hub2dee Mon 20-Jun-05 18:52:22

Best location please, oh wise MNers...

Cot-top changer

Dresser-top changer

Stand alone changing thingy

or pin 'em to the floor

(Bad back, small room)

???

Also, for a clothie, would installing some kind of drop-down changer in the bathroom be a stroke of genius or rather silly ? (Bathroom currently looks really nice and dw wants it to remain looking fab, but I reckon having toilet and sink and nappy bucket all within one metre of each other sounds eminently sensible).

Has anyone seen / made any super clever space-saving nappy changers ? (Slide out / drop-down thingies etc.)

Any and all comments appreciated.

PS - Does this Cocoon changing mat look like a good idea or a bad one ?

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 18:54:09

again hub?!?!

mat on the floor, maybe a drop down one in the bathroom.

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 18:54:30

i just had a change mat on the floor so cant help with that.... but the cocoon change mat looks FAB - mught just have to get me one of them!

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 18:55:12

£20 for a changing mat!!!!

tbh i have a five pound one, and usually just chuck a piece of toweling on the floor.

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 18:55:43

mat on the floor, wipes and changing bags hidden on each floor so you can just drop and change whenever needed

personally have never liked the concept of changing bums where they sleep, but that's just me, I'm strange

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 18:55:56

I didnt even notice the price - OMG - maybe not then!

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 18:56:51

what a funny changing mat

dunno might be useful for the first few months but once they start kicking up a fuss about being changed you'll need a flat mat on the floor anyway

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 18:56:59

ikea do a drop down one, but dont know if its in keeping with your style

compo Mon 20-Jun-05 18:57:02

Definitely mat on the floor. Changing station waste of money imo. Mat on floor in bathroom very good idea!

WigWamBam Mon 20-Jun-05 18:58:11

We used this changing table(bad knees, small room) and it's fab. Wall-mounted, folds up when you're not using it.

Second hand one available here if you're interested

hana Mon 20-Jun-05 19:01:52

also have £5 jobbie from ikea and cover it with a muslin or changing pad or both - have it in sparebedroom which is where dd2 is sleeping at the mo - on the bed, nappies (cloth here too!) under bed in fab new baskets I picked up at jojomamanbebe sale on weekend!
in early days she was changed whenever and whereever it suited
but I don't have bad back

fruitful Mon 20-Jun-05 19:03:26

I have a changing mat on a dressing table. With the nappy bucket under the dressing table (in the knee hole IYSWIM).

Those standalone-changing thingies always seemed like a waste of money - just another bit of furniture to get in your way.

Cot-top changer - hmm, if you have a very small room ok. But I would think it would be a pain to have to keep moving it on and off. Especially at night when you've got to get the baby out, put baby on floor, get changer onto cot etc.. Unless it stays on and you kind of slide the baby underneath?? But you've probably got to have a chest of drawers or something anyway so you could use the top of that?

Cocoon thingy does look good. Would the sides get in the way of your hands though?

Being able to change nappies in the bathroom would be good. Ds's room is at the other end of a corridor from the bathroom. If he has a dirty nappy (rather than wet) I've got to change him, put him on the floor, take the nappy to the bathroom to empty it in the loo, take it back to the bedroom to tip it in the bin (holding on to the wrap not the nappy ), go back to the bathroom to wash my hands, go back to the bedroom to get ds. A pain. But have you got room in the bathroom for the nappy bucket and somewhere to store cloth nappies, wraps, wipes etc? Otherwise you're still walking from one room to another.

starlover Mon 20-Jun-05 19:04:26

we had a changing station in DS's bedroom and i have only ever used it in the night. about 5 times!

tbh we spend most of our time in the living room, so that's where he gets changed. on a mat on the floor.
can't be bothered walking all the way to the bedroom!
especially in the early days when stitches made walking a bit uncomfortable!

fruitful Mon 20-Jun-05 19:07:27

A vote against changing on the floor here! It hurts your back. And you're bent over them more than when you're standing up - it puts you more in the firing line if you have a boy! But mostly, when they get wriggly, they think they can roll over and crawl off. If they're high up, they learn there is nowhere to go.

fruitful Mon 20-Jun-05 19:08:46

Trouble with leaving nappies around and changing wherever, is that dd borrows the nappies for her dolls and I can never find one...

hub2dee Mon 20-Jun-05 19:19:10

Yeah, misdee... I am going around in great big friggin' circles.

Thanks all for input. The cocoon thingy is expensive, but the mats in mothercare are £8 - £14 anyway and for something you might use extensively for a year or so, I thought it might be worth it (plus it's warm to the touch being some weird foam and it's shaped to stop 'em wriggling)...

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 19:20:12

wont stop them lifting them bums, or crawling off,. belive me!!

hub2dee Mon 20-Jun-05 19:23:07

I'm gonna devise a complex strapping thing which will hold bean do until I've done my task.

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 19:23:39

if it works then patent it lol.

lemonice Mon 20-Jun-05 19:26:41

A worktop + mat is a good height but better if you have a designated utility rather than next to the bread bin!!

Rai Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:17

Hi

I thought change stations waste of time, however we were given one and found it useful for 6 months then ds to big + wriggly, advantage it we could keep everything together clothes cloth nappiies cream etc. dh has bad back so good for him, our changer has done the rounds, 5 babies, 3 families. After 6 months used change mat on bed, dh has a kneeling cushion for knees so he does not stain back or knees. Have peddle bin by bed/change unit for dirty cotton wool and lucky enough that our home for some odd reason has a separte sink room, (wish toilet was in same room) for nappy bin.

lemonice Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:30

you can get the fold down ones used in public in office supply catalogues but they are not designer bathroom ish at all...

starlover Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:37

there is a changing mat with a harness on it... someone linked to it the other day but can't remember where.

don't waste your money on a more expensive mothercare one with cloth attached. the cloth bit on ours spends more time in the washing machine than on the mat, and we just use muslins (or nothing) on the mat!

LIZS Mon 20-Jun-05 19:51:17

Wtih ds it was a mat on the floor, wipes an spares to hand - one for downstairs and another used on the single bed in his room. With dd we got one to slot across the cot bars (like this ) but hardly used it as we were also then given an Ikea freestanding unit which was great until she could wriggle and squirm off, kick me in the stomach and sit up ! Cocoon looks a bit ott to me - what if your baby just isn't that shape !

littleredcorvette Tue 21-Jun-05 00:36:36

I found the cot top changer brilliant as I had a caesarian and obviously couldn't bend very much.

Although it cost £20 from Toys r Us, I used it on ds for nearly 3 years - only stopped using it when one of the sides ripped and I thought it might hurt his little legs!

I now use a changing mat on the floor but it's not as comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now