Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do you get them to poo on the potty?

(9 Posts)
JenC22 Sun 19-Jun-05 13:56:33

My D has been potty trained for 4 months she took the initiative and one day asked to wear pants at 28 months, it has all been successful with only two accidents since the change over (except when napping) , we have been on holiday to Canada and she will pee in any toilet as long as it is clean!! But pooing is another matter she is pretty regular usually every evening or every second evening, she started of going on the potty but recently has started asking for a nappy and will go in that instead. She will not soil her pants, as we are usually in the house in the evenings this has'nt been a problem. But now if we try to get her to go on the potty or the toilet she gets distressed, we have tried stickers, rewards etc but the last month she will not budge. We cannot work out what has triggered this, can somebody please suggest something ? At the moment we are considering investing in a musical potty but we are unsure if that will make any difference.

Friendlygirl Sun 24-Jul-05 21:20:07

In same position as you. Bump.

yingers74 Wed 03-Aug-05 11:33:51

bump, again same prob, any suggestions anyone????

cazzybabs Wed 03-Aug-05 11:50:06

The only way I did this was to bribe with stickers and chocolate. At the start - it was 1 poo one choclate buttom - dd soon got the hang of it - so then we went down to one poo one sticker, 5 stickers I chocolate button. Now (6 months on) we have no stickers, or buttons, but poos every day on fuss.

yingers74 Wed 03-Aug-05 12:01:40

Yes, am trying bribery now. She has asked for nappy this morning but I will give it a week.

socks3 Wed 03-Aug-05 14:35:31

Have you tried laying a nappy in the potty? Quite often they prefer the security of the familiar feeling against their bottoms. Doing a poo is a lot more scarey for little ones than a wee. Also, she probably knows you are getting a little upset about it. How about forgetting everything and start again? Do what she wants for a few days and see how that goes. Once they know they have got you over something it is a power thing for them as it makes them feel a bit in control. If they don't get a reaction they soon stop. Casually chat about a reward another child got for going on the potty (also could she prefer the loo? Remember to put paper down so it doesn't splash up water if a full poo) and when they ask for something say, well.... The key is to be casual. HTH.

WigWamBam Wed 03-Aug-05 14:47:09

It took my dd 15 months to poo in the toilet after she was out of nappies. She used to scream the place down if we even suggested using the toilet. My advice would be not to do anything at the moment - just let her become comfortable with the idea of using the potty/toilet for a poo in her own time.

It helps to see training for wee and for poo as two separate processes - the fact that she is ready to wee in the potty doesn't automatically mean that she's ready to poo in the potty. If she isn't emotionally ready to let go of the nappy for pooing, then there's no point in forcing it. It only leads to stress for you and for her - and the more stressful things get, the less likely she is to want to use the potty.

We tried bribery (the chocolate stayed in the jar until it went past its sell-by date), star-charts (she enjoyed making it, but it made not a blind bit of difference) and everything else you can name - nothing worked because she simply was not ready.

yingers74 Wed 03-Aug-05 15:07:04

hmmm, tah for advice, will leave it for this week then and try the nappy on potty next week but if it does not work then yes think I will just let her have her nappy when she requests it for poo. She has so far had no accidents at home so I should not really complain to be honest!

wendywoos Fri 05-Aug-05 15:53:50

Sometimes Emily does a poo in her nappy/training pants and I say "quick lets get the potty" and as I remove the nappy I tip one of the nuggets in the potty and sit her down on it, so when she gets up she see's it and we chear!!! Hurrraay! I'm a little concerned how-ever that one day she'll take her nappy off and put the nuggets in herself, errr. But at least she's learning where they go,, and eventually she cut out the middle man (the nappy) and go straight in it.
She asked for a pooo the other day and I managed to get her on to the potty in time, only nothing happened, then we had tears which resulted in me having to lie her on the ground with her legs pushed back she was so constipated (not the first time). I was worried I had produced a fear conection between painfull poo's and potty, so i'v avoided to poo on potty for a week ir so, and will go back to it soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now