Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Make me use these nappies!

(16 Posts)
mrsjuan Sun 08-Nov-09 22:42:04

I have got a lovely set of Bumgenius nappies. They fit DD well & seem to cope quite well with a few hours wear at a time.

But I don't seem to be able to get into using them. I keep having little bursts and then having setbacks e.g getting behind with the rest of the laundry, nappy rash, going away for the weekend etc. so reverting back to pampers.

I am sticking with pampers for nighttime for now so always have them in the house so I can't make a clean break.

How can I make myself more dedicated to cloth?!

Also mixed feeding & BLW so poo is disgusting!

Octothebaglady Sun 08-Nov-09 23:17:22

It can be really easy to use disps if you have them around - I simply just don't buy any and so have to use cloth. Think of how much money you save everytime you use one and put say £1 a day in a pot for you then at end of week instead of buying disps, buy something for yourself!

Pingpong Sun 08-Nov-09 23:23:44

have you tried using flushable liners? they catch the worst of the poo and leave the nappy not quite so gruesome! Cut or tear it down to size though, it doesn't work if you fold it up lots.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 08-Nov-09 23:24:06

Listen to Octo; she is nappy goddess type lady grin

Have you got some flushable liners? If you hate dealing with the poo you just drop it into the loo and flush, then nappies in bucket till wash day.

It is a bit bleargh dealing with them, but like all things baby poo related, you get used to it and just get on with it. And even if you only use them part time, every BG you use is one less dispo to landfill and you should feel pleased about that.

We use dispos at night, and although I'm trying to get out of that mindset, if dispos are in the house it is all too easy to pop one on for the convenience. DH is terrible for using dispos in the morning rather than cloth. It really is just a matter of habit.

And, if you really can't get into them, can I buy them from you? wink

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 07:42:12

Yes I think flushable liners might help until the poo gets the 'shakeable' phase! Can you recommend some? It would also mean that I could use sudocrem or something if her bottom looked a bit red.

BouncingTurtle Mon 09-Nov-09 07:46:55

Get some bamboo inserts to use at night.
I have BGs but I don't think microfibre inserts are very good for night time use,you need something very absorbant such as bamboo.

Try the liners. Also have you got a shower attachement on the bath? You can use that to rinse the poo off the nappy down the loo.

Octothebaglady Mon 09-Nov-09 10:27:31

mrsjuan - if you email me vicki.k.finn@googlemail.com I can tell you about the different liners and how they vary - some are better than others!

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 13:57:40

Thank you - I've emailed you.
Also, we go out a lot - what do you think is the best way to transport dirty nappies home?

Octothebaglady Mon 09-Nov-09 14:11:13

A monkeyfoot wet bag - kind of standard issue! wink

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 14:24:18

Just googled - they're far too lovely to put dirty nappies in grin

elkiedee Mon 09-Nov-09 14:42:25

It's taken me a few weeks to start using cloth nappies properly and I only started when ds2 was 7 months! Also, he's just started at the childminder and we don't really have enough.

I've bought Monkeyfoot bags, know what you mean about using them for dirty nappies, but you can use nappy sacks or carrier bags (we always have lots and at least I'm doing something constructive with them before I throw them away), or you could use a nappy sack inside the Monkeyfoot one for really disgusting nappies.

One advantage of BG and other pocket nappies is that you can fold them up so wet/dirty parts of the nappy don't get near the bag.

Octothebaglady Mon 09-Nov-09 14:54:37

Hello Elkie!

You can also use them afterwards for swimming. toiletries etc - the XL are good for swimming, ballet and yoga too.

BouncingTurtle Mon 09-Nov-09 14:57:54

Think I got my dirty nappy bag from Babykind - large enough to hold a day's worth of nappies, comes in different colours and has a ziplock. Also has a hanging strap that I was able to put DS's name on for when he is at nursery.

Octothebaglady Mon 09-Nov-09 15:04:01

BouncingTurtle - Lollipop are about to take stock of the monkeyfoot ones.

BouncingTurtle Tue 10-Nov-09 17:48:08

But I don't neeeeed another nappy bag!

I really, really don't!

Even a very cute monkeyfoot onegrin

<<goes off to look at website>>

milkysmum Tue 10-Nov-09 20:01:25

I use the Bum genius and have got on great with them. I think the key in getting into them full time is defiantly to stop keeping a supply of disposables in though- you quickly adjust to just not having them there honestly!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now