Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

PUL nappy wraps

(12 Posts)
millieimi Mon 26-Oct-09 16:56:27

Hi!!

was given cotton bottoms (who no longer exist...says a lot!) by a good friend but the nappy wraps are no longer waterproof...any idea if we can re-waterproof them? Have been looking on internet and can get sprays but have tried and dont work!!

it seems I had been using a 2 in1 washing powder with added softener so they are no longer waterproof...I tried washing them a few times to get the softener out but no such luck.

does anyone know if over time the PUL wraps loose their waterproof-ness?

and if they have had it what are bambino mio like as they are similar to what i need!

We are using disposable ones at the monent and I hate them..I miss my babies big nappy bum!!

would love some advice,

thanks

mumskullface Mon 26-Oct-09 17:48:07

2-in 1 will not affect waterproofing on PUL wraps as far as I know, it creates a waxy film that stops nappies absorbing. What nappies are you using? Perhaps they are just worn out wraps or maybe the nappy you are using is just not absorbent enough anymore. If you are using prefolds they are not known for their reliability but any decent aplix wrap should work like Motherease rikki or Tots wrap.

NappyShedSal Mon 26-Oct-09 17:56:38

Motherease Rikki wraps, Lollipop velcro wraps or Nature Babies classic wraps would be the only wraps that I would recommend to go over prefolds - they are all velcro wraps and have a gussett. Please don't buy Bambino Mio wraps - tehy really aren't that good. Tots wraps are gradually getting better, but I still don't class them as reliable enough wrap. They are also quite crinkly/ plasticky.

letsblowthistacostand Mon 26-Oct-09 18:02:06

Imse Vimse are fab over prefolds, the organic cotton ones are the only ones that don't leave red marks on my kids and still don't leak. If yours are less sensitive the IV softwraps are completely bulletproof, like overnight-worthy.

mumskullface Mon 26-Oct-09 18:06:56

My new style Tots wraps are soft & stretchy, rarely have a leak with them. They are more reliable than Nature Babies IMO.

millieimi Mon 26-Oct-09 21:15:02

thanks! great advice now I will go on a search..the motherease kept cropping up when i was looking so may have more of an advanced search.

more advice welcomed if you ladies hear anything else!!

octopusinabox Tue 27-Oct-09 09:39:22

I think PUL wraps are supposed to eventually go but thought that would normally take ages. I've had my motherease airflows which have been used on 2 babies but they're still fine. Would definitely recommend motherease wraps if you get new ones - all other types I've tried have leaked.

Octothebigblackscaryspider Thu 29-Oct-09 10:07:06

motherease covers are great - I also like totsbots - but not nature babies - don't like the two layer thing. Lollipop are similar to Motherease but have different feel and binding.

Scarybots Thu 29-Oct-09 12:58:17

But i love Nature Babies wraps! lol

I agree Motherease are great too, along with Lollipop. I like the Bambinex one size too.

I think they are a personal preferance really!

Ariela Sat 31-Oct-09 11:39:44

Proraps are very bombproof over prefolds - they're designed specifically for use with prefolds. OK they're a plain boring white, but a very good price, no frills.

Cotton Bottom wraps were made for them by Bummis just with a CB label. You could try a 10-15 min blast in the tumble drier - sometimes revives PUL wraps - or do you have the older ones with cotton on the outside ? In which case the binding gets wet then the wrap gets wet on the outside?

Or is it that they're still fitting but no longer a good fit? That could be why they're leaking - they go on but don't fit in the right places like me and my fave jeans blush. Also how do you fold your prefolds? I was taught to fold and wrap them round your baby then secure with pins or a Nappi Nippa - if you have an older heavier wetting child, when you pad fold what happens is the nappy gets wet and drops to the bottom of the prefold, then the wee in a gush can run down the leg and out so it looks like the wrpa has leaked. Could that be what's happening? I always lay out with the tramlines running towards me, fold up a bit at the front, then fold the sides in along the tramlines so there's a thicker pad at the front but fan the back, baby on top then bring the pad up between the legs and wrap the sides round and pin or Nippa on to the pad. There's good instructions on here: folding instructions or The Nappy Lady has some too.

LittlePants Sat 31-Oct-09 14:18:18

Octo Nature Babies do a one layer onesize wrap called the essential wrap, and it's a real budget wrap at £5.99. I have always found Nature Babies wraps even more efficient than Motherease/Popolini ones myself, and I love the extra layer with the lovely prints, but the essential is just one layer of PUL. The onesize design is only popper fastening though, which I persoally prefer, but O know some people like Aplix.

rusmum Sat 31-Oct-09 20:10:35

i have cb wraps motherease and others for sale cheap if you need. are on for sale thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now