Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Make me do it....

(49 Posts)
Hazellnut Tue 14-Jun-05 19:43:31

Hi All...

When I was pg I was determined to use reusables and, following advice from a friend that had used them, was all set to buy a big full time set of motherease as soon as I started maternity leave so would be home to take delivery. Unforetunately I ended up in hospital 2 days after I started maternity leave and had to deliver dd a couple of days later. Started using disposables and dd was too small for reusables. Eventually switched to Nature nappies but basically decided I was far too lazy to do the extra washing. DH is also convinced I am too lazy to do the extra washing and also thinks it involves too much work in changing dd (not that he does it very much anyway .
Have been thinking again about using reusables for dd who is now 4 1/2 months, but need something to make me actually do it. Am concerned about spending the large initial outlay and they don't work out.....

What do you think ? How much extra washing is it ? Is it all easy once you get the hang of it ? Whats the best way to go about starting...

NannyL Tue 14-Jun-05 19:49:43

some compaines let you try out lots of different types 1st and then choose which ones suit you... why not do that!

as a nanny i havent ever bought nappies (so not an 'expert' on cost etc.... but i have used LOTS of brands!

In my opinion dont bother with cotton bottoms (prefolds) or the all in one nappies...

i think the shaped nappies + a wrap are the best bet...

My all time favs are motherease sandys and kissaluvs.... think MEOS are ok too (and i know of lots of toddlers who have used them up until potty training) but i dont like them so much on larger kids as i just dont think they hold as much wee as other nappies!

As for extra work (i DO normally 'do' the nappies) i dont think its that much harder at all... 2 - 3 more wash loads per week...

you can also get washable wipes so save money on wipes as well...

I know that when i have my own kids i will DEFINITELY use washable nappies!

anothr tip.... buy a pice of fleece (like a 100% polysester fleece throw) for about a fiver and cut it up into liners... they keep their bottom really dry and wash well to! and save purchasing your own fleece liners (just make sure you wash them several time befroe you actually use them!)

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 19:49:53

oooh.. ok... well

it's NO extra work changing a reusable nappy.
I do a load a day... but that's only because I don't have a tumble drier or radiators, or any outside washing spadec to hang them... so i basically use half of them one day, wash them and they dry the next day while i use the other half... and so on

its SO easy. It really is. I used regular terry squares on Linus when he was smaller, as I could fold them up nice and small.

You can get trial packs from twinkleontheweb and kittykins if you just wanna have a go with them.

How much does DD weigh? I am selling some nappy nation ones that linus has outgrown if you're interested?

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 19:51:25

I love my fuzzi bunz (as you have probably gathered from me and roosmum)... they're fab, but quite expensive.

They cost £9.25 each... but if you think about it a shaped terry nappy will set you back around £7 and then you have the price of the wraps as well (although you will only need 4/5 wraps)

Yorkiegirl Tue 14-Jun-05 19:54:40

Message withdrawn

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 19:57:32

I do shove towels and all of dp's underwear and hankies in with my nappy wash.

Hazellnut Tue 14-Jun-05 20:08:32

So... what's the difference between the fuzzi bunz and the sort like motherease ?

Hazellnut Tue 14-Jun-05 20:09:49

This thread reminds me I am supposed to be emptying the washing machine and putting on dd's clothes washing .... see told you I was too lazy when it came to washing

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 20:16:30

the fuzzi bunz are stuffables. they have a waterproof outer layer, and microfleece inner layer. You stick an insert in them... so they're just like a cloth version of a disposable really. They're really slim fitting, and quick to dry.
I really can't talk them up enough.. i love them!
they come in different sizes, so unlike the MEOS they won't be too bulky on a smaller baby

Hazellnut Tue 14-Jun-05 21:01:19

right have sent off an advice thing to the nappy lady so will see what they say although like the sound of fuzzi bunz (don't think the nappy lady does these)...

Nag me to do it .....

roosmum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:21:43

hazellnet...didn't know you were a wannabee clothie!

like starlover, i def. wd recommend stuffable nappies, take a look at kittykins for lots of pretty nappies & free delivery.
if you're worried abt the large outlay, how abt just getting a couple to try? popular nappies - like fuzzis, motherease - also have great resale value on ebay, so if all failed you could get quite a lot back by selling them on...
it's real nappy week next week, & lots of nappy websites have discounts on atm. but fuzzis are one of my top nappies so far (kittykins don't actually sell these, but just do a quick google search & lots of other sites will come up).
washing = v. easy. usually put the nappies to wash overnight (on 60), every couple of nights & they're ready to line dry in the morning
wouldn't use disp. if you paid me to now, LOVE my nappies - you'll get addicted i promise!!!
fwiw, i don't think that prefolds are as bad as the press they get on here, i use bambino mio mainly & they work ok for me, tho you need more wraps than with other nappies as the prefold has no poo containment. prefolds also great for stuffing fuzZis etc - tend to use stuffables when we're out as they're just more reliable. wouldn't recommend bambinos as readily as stuffies (for this reason), but they are fairly cheap, durable & easy to use when you get the hang of them.
wow, how long is this...can you tell how my nappies make me happy?!!
(i've even recently got into making my own...)
hope some of my nappy ramble helps!!

roosmum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:22:21

nag nag nag

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 21:31:47

roosmum... you get SO obsessed with nappies when you start using cloth don't you? No-one I know can just use them... you have to discuss the pros and cons of each system... try them all... know EVERYTHING there is to know! LOL

SLight hijack... i have my PUL and my fleece (blue with lions on)... and am ready and raring to go making my own! will let you know how i get on! LOL

Hazellnut.. check if your local council are doing any incentives. Ours is offering £30 cash if you use cloth. They also did starter packs worth £100 (but only available up to 4 months.. although longer if your baby was prem)... or you can have 4 weeks free laundering using cotton bottoms. They were also giving out free samples at my bumps and babes group!

roosmum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:49:25

free nappies ... i wish!
yep, have to know ALL there is to know abt washables, try them ALL!
went to nct nearly new sale at the wkend (more like 'well-used') & talked to a cloth seller who knows someone who has over 100 (!) different types of reusable nappies....i almost refuse to believe that many exist (tho they prob do...& between us MNers we prob own them all LOL!).
sorry for continuing hijack hazellnet....NAG NAG NAG!

Hazellnut Tue 14-Jun-05 22:08:57

Am now getting concerned it might take over my life like it seems to have done with you two wierdo's but hey - must be good if it makes you this enthusiastic. TBH though this thread has now got me all confused between the different types - stuffable, needing wraps AH AH AH - brain strain - perhaps I'll just continue filling the landfill sites after all.....

And Roosmum, I meant nag me in a few days once I've forgotten about it all again !!! But worth nagging me in the meantime anyway !!

pixiefish Tue 14-Jun-05 22:21:01

look here

Personally I'd look and see if Babykind have an agent in your area. That way you can see, touch and feel the nappies as well as having a think and a chat about which system would suit you

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 22:25:47

babykind are good... that's where i get my fuzzis.
lots of info on www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk too.

I like stuffables because once you have them stuffed they're just like using a disposable. just the one thing to put on. because they have the waterproof outer layer you don't need a seperate wrap. Also, most of them have a fleece inner which keeps baby's skin dry. And, as i said before they are quick to dry!

I used to use nappy nation no-fold, also quick to dry. And lite wrap which is the BEST wrap i have used. Also have a nature babies, nappy nation, tots wrap and modern baby... and none of them are anywhere near as good as the lite wrap.
I still use terry squares as a back up when my fuzzis are in the wash. was still using the nappy nation, but ds is just about too big for them now!

One size nappies are cheaper in the long run as you will only need one lot... shaped terries and stuffables are generally sized as well, so you will need to change them as they grow. Having said that I have just bought a wonderoo (a one-size similar to a fuzzi)... so will let you know how i get on!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 14-Jun-05 22:32:08

oh come on and just say which ones are best overall! i'm on the verge i'm on the verge!!!!!!!!!!

starlover Tue 14-Jun-05 22:34:49

IMO fuzzi bunz beat all others hands down!

this is because:

they are slim fitting

they dry quickly

there is only one bit to put on

they come in cool colours

pixiefish Tue 14-Jun-05 23:04:05

I love loads of differnet ones for different reasons. Contact the nappy agent for babykind for your area and she'll get you started on the basics. They don't charge any more for going through an agent. Once she's started you off and you're happy with the basics then you can go absolutely bonkers testing and trying to see which you prefer

Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 09:36:43

Thanks for the links - I think the main thing putting me off is the amount of choice so hopefully one of these services that lets you try things out will be the way to go....

Ok - Some practical questions:

Do all of them have a liner or something you can just remove and flush ? Want to be able to easily dispose of poo !!

When you go out what do you take - if using the type like fuzzi bunz do you have to take out a spare f.b. or can you just take the stuffable bit. Likewise with the liner sort can you just take spare liners ? Have just started using a smaller bag to take out and not keen to go back to the massive suitcase I was taking around !

TIA !

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 09:41:55

with a terry nappy you will need a liner. you can get disposable ones which you just flush down the loo. Fleece ones are nicer because they keep baby a bit dryer, but will need washing along with the nappies.

When going out you have to take a whole new nappy. I guess at a push you could use the same fuzzi with a fresh insert. But if using terries then you will definitely need a fresh nappy.

chipmonkey Wed 15-Jun-05 15:38:08

Do it Hazelnutt, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON! Another vote here for fuzzi bunz, I stuff them with prefolds or microfibre inserts, I find the prefolds more absorbent. The fleece inner is so soft and the nappy is so thin compared to other brands. I've found ragbags brilliant for loads of brands but dh has put a stop to me at the mo because I'm on unpaid maternity leave and can't really afford them!

chipmonkey Wed 15-Jun-05 15:40:30

Sorry, link didn't work but its www.ragbags.co.uk

Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 16:29:45

Right well, hopefully you'll all be proud of me.... I have taken the first step into the unknown but the Real Nappy Lady came back to me and recommended Motherease or another one (can't remember which) and funnily enough this was just after I got off the phone to a friend who had recommended ME ages ago and had just offered to lend me some to try out so... I am picking them up next Weds. I am going to have to do something as the Nature nappies are just not containing her now she has started solids !!

Will let you know how I get on but if Idon't you'll know I'll slunk off to the supermarket to pick up some pampers - tee hee !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now