Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! Am I going to have to give up my cloth nappies and put my son in (eurgh) paper ones?

(21 Posts)
twinklingfairy Fri 23-Oct-09 20:52:57

My DS has terrible nappy rash and is on his third prescription of antibiotics for balinitis (a fungal infection).
The doc has told me to get him into paper nappies to get his bottom into a dryer enviroment, she says only for a couple of weeks.
But what happens when I put him back in his nappies and it all starts again.
I really love my cloth nappies and hate paper ones.
I am frightened that it will be the only solution, to give them upsad

A friend suggested babmboo squares, she said they made a HUGE difference to her sons very bad nappy rash.

What do you guys think?
Or any other thoughts?

Further info is that DSs foreskin does not cover his penis fully. The docs are blaming this as his main problem but all they talk about is surgery to remove it, at some point in the future.
I don't want that to have to happen eithersad

Surely there must be a better, less drastic, solution that means I get to keep DS in cloth until he is potty trained?

KirstyJC Fri 23-Oct-09 20:57:51

Have you tried silk liners? I used these at night with DS2 when he got bad nappy rash and thrush, and they seemed to help. Fleece liners are supposed to keep the skin dry too.

We use bamboo nappies at night and the bit that touches baby's skin is still wet to the touch, so wouldn't keep his skin dry I wouldn't think.

If all else fails, I would grit my teeth and try sposies for a while. Can you keep him nappy free at all in the day to help his skin? If the doc says this is only for a while, then maybe that would do the trick and then you go return to fluff..

Good luck and I hope poor DS feels more comfy soon

Babybots Fri 23-Oct-09 21:06:09

Hiya Twinkling.

Can i make a suggestion. If ds has a fungal infection

As im guessing like all bugs they will thrive in the warm moist environment that is the nappy?

I think if you give them a really really hot wash and some sanitiser? maybe also a strip wash? to help kill off the bugs?

I think you may have to swap to sposies for a bit whilst you clear up ds rash and then introduce again slowly.

Im sure some one else will be able to help with more ideas for killing bugs off in the nappies but i really think this could be why its a reoccuring problem.

mumskullface Fri 23-Oct-09 21:07:15

Hi, have replied on other thread too, suggesting Silver liners and teatree solution on wipes smile

twinklingfairy Fri 23-Oct-09 21:20:11

Strip wash?
I am guessing taking them apart as much as pos?

OMG do you know I have not given them all a boil/hot wash for a whileblush
andangryat myself!!

Cheers skullface have replied on the other thread.
Looking for advice on how to cope with fabric wipes and special water when out and about. I really don't spend a huge amount of time in my own home. Sounds odd but my mum is local and we go to lots of things with DD that mean we are out most of the day.

Silk liners might be worth a go too.
Again, my friend tried these though and she is suggesting bamboo now, so maybe they didn't work for her. I will ask.

Babybots Fri 23-Oct-09 21:35:23

Hiya,

A Strip Really worth a try, we reccomend a strip wash when the nappies could be clogged with detergent.
In your case maybe this is where the bugs are living, in the detergent residue in the nappies.

So yes the term strip is basically clean them thoroughly and strip them back to just the materials by washing.

This can be done in a few ways one of which using white vinegar. But to start with i tend to recomend a hot wash (60) or 2 with no detergent followed by a few rinces. You should be able to see evidence of the detergent being removed by the bubbles in the machine during the wash. You can keep rinsing till bubbles have subsided.

I also usually reccomend a different washing routine to keep the detergent build up and the need for strips to a minimum. If you need any more advice email me from our home page.

I hope that makes sence.

I hope it works and your little one is feeling much more comfy really soon!!!

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Oct-09 21:49:00

Hi twinkling - i had a similar situation with DS last year when he was about 5 months old, which got worse when I put him in "normal" disposables. Then I tried Bambo bamboo disposables ( here )
, and his eczema and nappy rash cleared up in a fortnight (I think it was caused by something else, but cloth nappies were not helping it heal). He is still in them at night, but cloth in the day, with half an hour or so "free willy" bare botty time in the morning and evening.

twinklingfairy Fri 23-Oct-09 21:51:12

Have sent you an email, I hope, babybots

Help me to kill the little blighters that I am harbouring on my lovely nappies.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 23-Oct-09 21:53:38

Give paper nappies a go, even if they make you go "eurgh". Your son's health is more important than your scruples in this case, I think?

Babybots Fri 23-Oct-09 21:54:21

Will email you back now!

twinklingfairy Fri 23-Oct-09 22:21:24

It is about my scruples but also about my pocket.
For every bag of nappies I buy, I could, pretty much buy a reusable which will last me years.
The throw aways are just that, within no time I will have to buy another pack.

I went reusable for the other reason that I can't afford to be paying out hand over fist for paper pants.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 23-Oct-09 22:31:15

No-one's arm wrestling you into turning away from your beloveds. Just a suggestion - and 2 packs of nappies over 2 weeks might be worth a try and work out cheaper - not to mention healthier - than antibiotics (ok, free, as free prescriptions for children) or over-the-counter preparations. You're risking £10 tops, and that's with branded nappies.

twinklingfairy Fri 23-Oct-09 22:40:33

Oh no, sorry, got on my high horse thereblush
I don't mind using them for a couple of weeks to help clear up any infection.
I was/am just worried that I wont be able to put DS back in them, or that when I do it all flairs up again. Then I would be pushed, by myself, into using them full time.
I would hate that to happen, for one cos I don't like paper nappies, for another cos I can't afford it.
I would just have to find the money if it came to it, of course.

Babybots Fri 23-Oct-09 23:00:50

Twinkling - I've replyed just check ive not landed in your junk/spam if you dont get it! Off to bed now but will check in morning.

Shauri Sun 25-Oct-09 21:16:00

Hi Twinkling fairy,
I had the opposite problem, DD had excema due to food intollersnce leading to infections, as a result the disposable nappies aggrivated the situation to the point they would stick and peel the skin off (sorry tmi) - someone suggested reusable nappies - in particular the bamboo ones due to the natural anti bacterial nature of the bamboo. I have'nt looked back since.
HTH

JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Sun 25-Oct-09 23:43:53

What re-useables are you actually using? Did you manage to give them a good hotwash?

I think I would use disposables for a few days while you wash your nappies on several washes, the first one with a full dose of washing powder and a sanitiser like nappy san and then the rest with nothing in it, or maybe a couple of drops of tea tree in one as this is antibac too. And then give them a go again and see if it helps.

twinklingfairy Mon 26-Oct-09 00:25:41

I have given them a good 60 degree wash with a cup of vinegar.
Mine are mainly bumbles with a couple of lollipop softees( my faves) and a couple of Ellas House, so a bit of a mix.
But all have gone through and been rinsed 3 times so far.
Now they are lying around waiting for me to stop doing all the household washing (does that ever really stop!!) then I will throw them in for another 60 degree with washing powder.
Sound ok?

Your poor DD saurisad
I missed a great bid on ebay.
12 Bamboo terry squares for under £30shock
bugger.

twinklingfairy Mon 26-Oct-09 00:28:14

DS has been in dispos for 3 days now, or is it 2. God I lose track!
He is soo much better.
Will wait until after I see the doc before putting him back into his cloth.
I am also up until silly hours selling all I can on ebay so I can buy him some silver liners and a wool wrap.

ravenAK Mon 26-Oct-09 01:20:35

I had this with dd1 (ds & dd2 both fine in cloth).

Periodically, usually coinciding with teething or some sort of stomach upset, she'd get horrible, raw, nappy rash, & the only thing that fixed it was a day of paper nappies - we got wise to it, & put her in a disp as soon as we spotted the first red blotches.

Scarybots Mon 26-Oct-09 07:39:43

Hi Twinkling,

Well done and im glad his skins getting better already!

Sounds like your nappies have had a good strip now. You can do another 60 degree follwed by a few more rinces if you like just to be sure. Probably no need for detergent but if you do just use a tiny bit.

I hope it works for you and your little lad!

JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Mon 26-Oct-09 12:37:26

Have you done a wash with a full dose of powder first? I would really do that at the start so they are as clean as possible, and then do a couple of full washes with no powder to get all the detergent build up out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now