Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

how do i know when they are ready for potty training???

(11 Posts)
missycantstop Tue 14-Jun-05 11:45:36

i have 2 toodlers aged 2 and a half and 1 and a half. My two year old has cerebral palsy. how do i know when they are ready to be potty trained?

Fran1 Tue 14-Jun-05 11:48:22

Give them plenty of chance to experience it and decide for themselves.

Have a potty around, take their nappy off for a while and if they wee say well done and show them that it should have gone in the potty so they know what its for. Overtime with doing this you may find they start telling you when they have wet or pooed their nappy and you can be aware of when they are likely to need to go and offer them the potty. Let it go on from there really!

LIZS Tue 14-Jun-05 11:52:11

Sort of things to look for are awareness of having a wet or dirty nappy, either as they go or just before hand, interest in the potty/toilet, ability to communicate their needs, staying dry for a period of several hours, willingness to stay seated for a few minutes, mobility in getting to potty and seated in time, sufficient motor skills to remove and pull up pants and clothes.

QueenEagle Tue 14-Jun-05 11:59:09

My ds is 2.5 and I'd like to give potty training a go. He holds himself when he's going in his nappy so has an awareness. Major problem with ds however, is that he is unable to speak - how on earth do I address this ??

Fran1 Tue 14-Jun-05 12:43:26

Is this a permanent speech problem? or something that will come with time?

What i'm getting at is how do you communicate about other things? does he sign? Can you use a little sign language to teach him how to ask for potty?

When i first trained my dd i kept the potty in whatever room she was playing in (not most hygienic i know but better than the carpet!). So she didn't always ask me anyway, she just got on and did it herself. She spent the first few weeks half naked anyway so didn't need help with undressing.

If you think your son is getting ready, i'd give him an hour or so with no clothes on bottom half, leave potty around and if he shows signs he wants to go offer him the potty. Make it fun, read books whilst hes on it or play puppet games etc. Sit favourite teddy on the potty and cheer when he "does a wee".

QueenEagle Tue 14-Jun-05 17:04:29

We use a few signs, but mostly we look out for situational cues and him making hand gestures to indicate what he wants/needs. He has had 2 sessions with a speech therapist and she agrees with me that it is just a delay rather than a disorder. (one of my older sons had an acute disorder).

I am very tempted to give this a go as my older 2 boys were dry in the day by this age and he is certainly intelligent enough. He does have a very independent and wilful streak though which may make things a battle which I want to avoid. Thanks for the suggestions Fran, it's made me a little more positive about making a start.

missycantstop Tue 14-Jun-05 17:21:10

started potty training both my toddlers today. aged 1 and a half and 2 and a half. things werent to bad. just see how it goes tomorow. Thanks to those who answered my question earlier!

QueenEagle Tue 14-Jun-05 17:24:08

missy - did i read that right? That you are starting potty training your 18mth old? Are you sure they are ready at that age?

I'm not picking a fight, honest - just thought that sounded terribly young.

missycantstop Tue 14-Jun-05 17:29:03

she seems to be doing ok. alot better than my 2 and a half year old- but thats to be expected as he has cerebral palsy. went out twice today and had one mishaps with my boy and none with my girl she even slept for an hour without a nappy on. hopefully things will be just as good and if not better tomorrow.

QueenEagle Tue 14-Jun-05 21:56:12

missy - seems like you know what you are doing - hope it continues to go well. I am seriously thinking more and more now of getting going with ds3 who is 2.5yrs. I was waiting for him to take the initiative but I would wait forever it seems, so I am going to give hima nudge in the right direction!

eidsvold Wed 15-Jun-05 06:26:47

QE - really simple sign for toilet that is part of the Australian makaton sign library

Pointer finger of right hand in the middle of upside down palm of left hand - like a t shape. Taught that sign to dd1 ( almost 3yo with down syndrome) that sign when I was pregnant and forever on the toilet. She knows the sign we are now working up to the rest of it. Might just be a sign he can pick up. As with makaton - to aid language - you always say the word with the sign.. you want to facilitate speech and language.

hope that is a help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now