Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Wish me luck - night time training starting tonight.............

(20 Posts)
Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 13:25:57

Well we've decided to take the plunge and start trying (again - we tried last September and failed miserably LOL) to night train DS1 (he'll be 5 in September).

After he went to bed last night I hid the last few nappies from the pack and when he got up this morning showed him the empty pack and told him they were all finished. I asked him what we should do, and he said "wear pants in bed" (so I guess that's a good sign, although he said that last September too !).

Anyone got any good tips (I know I should search the archives........but I'm not going to).

We're going to lift him before we sleep to do a wee, and someone had the idea of putting an extra 'layer' on the bottom (of extra mattress protector and sheet) so that accidents are easy to 'sort' - we're also going to use the method we used (succesfully) 3 months ago which finally stopped him pooing in his pants...............bribery - he'll get 20p for every morning he gets up dry, and once he's done 10 dry night he'll get a McDonalds (*bad mummy alert* ).

colditz Mon 13-Jun-05 13:35:35

I think a MacDonalds bribe is a fab idea Gwenick!

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 13:39:26

well it worked for the poo's - EVERY time he needed a poo until he was about 4.5yrs he'd do either part, or all of it in his pants. It got so bad I'd actually made an appointment at the Dr.s as it appeared he didn't even realise he needed to go. Dr.s appointment was a 2 week wait so I decided (last ditch effort) to bribe with McDonalds'..........hey presto - we've had NO soiled pants since then!

And he's recently perfected his counting to ten - to 10 dry nights is a nice number for him to 'practice' LOL

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 18:16:20

Well DS1 is getting quite excited by the prospect of pants in bed rather than nappies - I'm not LOL.

and he's sneaked an extra 'bribe' in there too - after 5 dry nights I'll order a jar of jam with the Tesco shopping for him to have on his toast at lunchtimes (why can't adults be that easy to please???), still has to have 10 dry nights to get the McDonalds though

WigWamBam Mon 13-Jun-05 18:23:25

My dd finally talked me into letting her go to bed without a nappy on last night, and amazingly enough, she woke up dry this morning. I was expecting the worst, but she was fine.

Good luck and fingers crossed!

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 19:32:13

Did you lift her to do during the night - or just leave her???

WigWamBam Mon 13-Jun-05 19:35:45

I just left her. I put a potty in her room just in case, which she didn't need to use, and told her she could call me if she woke up and didn't want to go to the toilet on her own in the dark, but she didn't need either.

RTKangaMummy Mon 13-Jun-05 19:39:45

DEFFO BRILL

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 19:41:06

he wouldn't use a potty - but we leave the landing light on all night anyhow so don't think he'd be scared of going to the toilet.......I'm very skeptical that we'll be sucessful - his nappies are always SOAKING everymorning without fail ........oh well no going back now........

WigWamBam Mon 13-Jun-05 19:49:54

I was sceptical too, dd is just four and has always, always woken up absolutely dripping, she got up with a dry nappy on Sunday morning for the first time ever, and refused to have a nappy on last night - and stayed dry.

Good luck with it.

RTKangaMummy Mon 13-Jun-05 19:51:24

with DS he always wet his just as he woke up

Cos if we woke him up he was dry but if we let him be in cot to play he was wet

Does that make any sense?

Hope it works

We have got some DEFFO BRILL pads that soak it all up and then you wash them and tumble dry. They go on top of matteress.

RTKangaMummy Mon 13-Jun-05 19:52:21

sorry don't mean cot mean bed

Gwenick Tue 14-Jun-05 08:58:08

Hmmm - oh dear..............not a great start.........DH (who got up first) informs me that DS1 was soaked from his armpits down !!!

fifilala Tue 14-Jun-05 09:13:29

Gwenick-persevere (unless getting really distressed) just done this ourselves - mentionned on various posts, DS was also still soaking in a morning - but only 3yrs4mths. Within two weeks only occ accident, 6 weeks later I haven't used a bed mat for 6 nights! We tend to lift him when we go to bed and he barely wakes up now - however we haven't lifted him for two nights and has remaind dry, he automatically goes to toilet when wakes in a morning. I am so proud of my DS, but I realise it could still go wrong at any point.

Good luck......

Gwenick Tue 14-Jun-05 09:33:32

how on earth do you lift them without waking them up completely??? - never mind get them to wee in the toilet LOL .

HE doesn't seem the slightest bit bothered by the fact the he obviously spent half the night sleeping on soaking sheets LOL

fifilala Tue 14-Jun-05 09:50:40

I do not know if he has just got used to being lifted but he now just seems to sit there and perform!- with his eyes shut On the nights that he has been wet he also has not let us know untill morning when he comes in and just cries "Mummy I've wet myself!" As I said we did not lift on the last couple of nights and have not put on bed mats either - maybe I am pushing my luck a bit too far!

We used pampers bed mats by the way and put two ontop of the sheets ( I did not see the point of having wet sheets aswell!)

What about bribery with nice new pyjama's ??Star Wars seem the rage and he may not want to get them wet???

Gwenick Tue 14-Jun-05 09:54:21

DS won't sit down to wee though - he's always stood up at the toilet....

We're already bribing him

5 dry nights - Jar of Jam (I know it's 'odd' but he loves jam on toast, we don't eat much and we've run out.......wouldn't usually buy jam often - so if he wants some he's got to 'earn' it LOL)

10 dry nights - McDonald's.

Those bed mats are expensive aren't they???? Think I'll stick to an extra layer of sheet and mattress protector so all I have to do is take the top one off.

Gwenick Wed 15-Jun-05 09:20:18

Night 2 results - soaking wet....... [frown]

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 10:58:07

Night 3 - woke him up at midnight - were too late, already wet, he woke up about 2.30 - wet, and wee-ed again when he got up in the morning [frown]

BUT!!!!!

Night 4 (last night) lifted at 11.30 (was a 'tiny' bit damp - like when us ladies have weak pelvic floor muscles and cough - so not worth changing him, did a big wee, got up at 7.30 this morning DRY!!!!!!

northender Fri 17-Jun-05 20:38:26

Decided to try ds (3yrs 10m) this week as he is quite often dry in the morning. Results so far have been disastrous - soaking wet every morning and I can't really see how he is going to improve as he just sleeps through it therefore having a potty accessible presumably wouldnt make any difference. I wish I slept as soundly as he does. He clearly takes after dh!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now