Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby Wipes - Whats in them?? Industrial Strength Cleaner????

(20 Posts)
QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 10:00:34

I love baby wipes.... use them for EVERYTHING... but thats just it.

Isn't anyone else worried about the capability of the cleaning agents in it??

Here are a few things that worry me:
1. They remove make-up and mascara better than my make-up remover.
2. They strip emulsion off of skirting boards/sockets etc.
3. I wiped pee off my carpet with one and it BLEACHED my carpet!
4. My friend just returned a top to M&S as a wipe had bleached it too.

What is in them???? I wipe my babies skin/eyes with them.

Just pondering....

HellKat Mon 13-Jun-05 10:05:03

Very good point QF.
We use them for allsorts too. They're amazing for riddling clothes/carpets etc of dreaded spag bol stains.
Hmm makes you wonder though what is in them?

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 10:07:20

Message withdrawn

NannyL Mon 13-Jun-05 10:24:59

i too use them for anything and everything!

yes it does make me wonder what it actually IS they use!

I know of people who was them and use them as nappy liners too... and if only wet get washed and used again!

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 10:26:44

I know I try not to think about it - especially as DS1 when he was a toddler kept raiding the nappy wipes and would suck on them if we didn't catch him in time!!!!!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 15:46:04

Oh yes.... dd is a regular wipe-sucker... seems whatever is in it is also addictive... Narcotics perhaps???

handlemecarefully Mon 13-Jun-05 15:46:47

So - any amateur chemists out there who can shed light on this?

vickiyumyum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:50:57

sorry not a chemist. just to say in our household once i discovered that the wipes removed marker pen from the glossowrk on the landing after everything helse had failed, i stopped using them on my kids as was worried about what they contained.
now we have baby wipes but they are kept in the cleaning cupboard and not the kids cupboard!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 15:51:46

lol Vickiyumyum!

vickiyumyum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:57:58

by the way they give an excellent shine to stainless steel appliances!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 15:58:25

Not very good for windows though.

Chandra Mon 13-Jun-05 16:00:25

Do tehy vickymum? I'm off to try them in my dishwasher, it's impossible to remove water stains from the SS front even wit a lot of elbow grease!

Probably I should be wiping DS with Flash wipes and using DS's for household needs.

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 16:02:39

Chandra - They do my stainless steel kettle up a treat!

ivy3 Mon 13-Jun-05 16:02:39

Very good question. My dd loves sucking them too and gets very irrate if you take them off her. I keep telling myself that they can't be harmful but reading what they can successfully be used for I am not so sure...urgh!

Chandra Mon 13-Jun-05 16:27:48

J&J Sensitive Skin wipes are no better than any other kitchen product used over SS, nor worse either have to say

QF What brand are you using?

lmccrean Thu 16-Jun-05 23:10:57

I use cloth nappies and wipes, and figure that you could adapt it a bit for disposables?

I use little terry squares soaked in camomile tea, but if you want something flushable, bounty kitchen roll cut up into smaller bits (or it will block up loo) or, or of course, soaked in plain water.

morocco Thu 16-Jun-05 23:38:19

chandra at flashwipes for ds and baby wipes for the cleaning

you could always try tesco own as they are utterly rubbish so can't contain anything of any cleaning use at all

bensmum3 Fri 17-Jun-05 22:53:34

I admit they make ds smell much better,but only use them when away , usually use home made washable wipes with plain water or baby lotion.

meggymoo Fri 17-Jun-05 23:02:52

Message withdrawn

pupuce Fri 17-Jun-05 23:06:31

I think they don't smell nice, they are full of "parfum" which some people are allergic too..... not a fan !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now